You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Absolutely majestic performance again today. He makes it look so easy, and in many cases avoids danger by dropping off or positioning himself early. I’d say it even at times make him look less brilliant than he actually is, as he less frequently has to make the last ditch challenge which in many cases earn defenders praise.

His value to this team can not be overestimated.

• Upvote 1

I've just been comparing our league results in the calendar year with Van Dijk to the year before Van Dijk.

Pl      W    D    L     For    Against    Points

40     20   14   6      80      45           74

Pl      W    D    L     For    Against    Points 

37     27    7    3      84      22           88

Obviously, I wouldn't put it all down to the big fella, but there's no denying that's one Hell of an improvement and he played a big part.

• Upvote 2

Wasn’t Wiji voted quite highly as captain material in the dressing room?

Essentially you have the three club captains getting between Mo and Sokratis there. VVD, Wiji and Henderson. Henderson brings out his death stare, last used on Diego Costa.

And I’ve still absolutely no idea why Sokratis was moaning about it, other than maybe trying to take the heat off his own piss poor performance by making it into the match talking point. Or trying to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Essentially you have the three club captains getting between Mo and Sokratis there. VVD, Wiji and Henderson. Henderson brings out his death stare, last used on Diego Costa.

Gini captained Feyenoord when he was 19 or something crazy like that.

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And I’ve still absolutely no idea why Sokratis was moaning about it, other than maybe trying to take the heat off his own piss poor performance by making it into the match talking point. Or trying to.

He must’ve thought Salah went down easy.

I think what happened was that when the ref blew the half time whistle, one of the Arsenal players booted the ball hard towards our bench. I thought it might have been Xhaka at first because he was playing like his head had gone, but maybe it was Sokratis. I'd already stepped out of the room at this point so I didn't see the players arguing as they went down the tunnel.

In any case, Van Dijk stepping in to tell Sokratis there'll be none of that shit on his watch is yet more evidence that he is club captain in waiting.

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

At least he's paying attention, he might learn something. 

Genuinely didn't mean this as a dig at Henderson, it's just not what he's about as most players aren't, but I just think we need a character like Big Virg calling the shots out there.