You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Me too and you're right Virg has more pace plus his passing ability is better. Sami had a real eye for goal and was a beast at set pieces. The fact that we are talking about him in the same breath as Hyppia after such a short period is unbelievable in itself. 

I was talking about him in the same breath as hyypia after 5 or 6 games, it was clear to see he was comparable talent wise.

the thing about goals is a funny one though isn’t it. You felt after his goal on his debut that he’d get a sackful but he hasn’t, but... watching the Watford match the commentators said we’d scored more goals from corners (possibly set pieces as a whole) than anyone in the league.

considering our delivery is as hit and miss as most, and VVD isn’t getting them, that astounded me. Can’t help but think his presence is helping others to score goals at that end of the park for us, even if he’s not getting them himself.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, No2 said:

Sami was great but he was never even the best defender in the league. Big Virgil is the best in the world. He is better than any centre back to have played in the premier league era.

Sami did also play in an era with considerably better centrebacks in the league though.

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think he's probably better than them.

But I think any of Carvalho, Hyypia, Josemi, Ferdinand, or Stam would be the 2nd best centreback in the league now. Campbell, Adams, a few others would have a shout as well.

Why, you little scamp...

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

Sami Hyypia was the best centre half in the league for a number of years.  Van Dijk is one of the most complete defenders I’ve ever seen.

Love Sami, and like Van Dijk he transformed our defence when he arrived.

But like you say, Van Dijk is far more complete. Main difference being pace and quick feet. A fast version of Hyypia if you like, which is quite something.

1 hour ago, diamondjoe said:

To the tune of let's go fly a kite from Mary Poppins.

Let's go buy Van Dijk

He'll keep it nice and tight

Let's go buy Van Dijk

And send it soaring

Up to the atmosphere

That's where he'll head it clear

Let's all go buy Van Dijk.

Thank you and goodnight.

I have £75m available. I can buy van Dijk. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

And it's not even a question. He's the best defender in the world. His positioning, his passing, his speed, strength, in the air, on the floor. He's the perfect defender. Truly world class. 

You forgot his lovely bone structure.

• Upvote 2