You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Matip is going through a rough spot but has been very good up until midway this season. Lovren has been pretty poor for three years or more. A thousand times bitten, twice shy.

I think Matip is a very good footballer but seems to be a bit inconsistent of late. Not sure if the in,out nature of his selection is unsettling him a bit. Van Dijk will be first choice at CB when available and the other three of Lovren,Matip and Klavan will be fighting it out for the other spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Keeps it up and the fee will be soon forgotten. Superb today.

Alongside a decent keeper whose not shit scared to come off his line and we’re finally looking somewhat solid back there.

He’s even managing to make Lovren look like a footballer.

• Upvote 1

I can’t remember a calmer looking centre half playing for us in my time going to games. Maybe Sami, but I’m a different way, as VVD is a better ball player.

The number of Long passes today where you felt totally at ease as he was in the right place knowing he’d get a clearing header, only he didn’t, he dinked it downwards 5 yards to a red shirt instead.

It feels weird saying, because Newcastle didn’t really offer much of an attaching threat, but he was MoM for me.

The lads a monster. There was a bit in the game where there were a few panicky passes in that little spell where they started pushing at 2-0. I think it was Trent who played a bit of a sloppy one back. It was going near Van Dijk and I think some players would have either twatted or fucked up a stupid pass. Van Dijk just saunters over takes a second for their players to commit and plays it back out wide to Arnold. It was only a minor thing but just sums up what he brings to the table.

It is his organisation and talking that is his greatest asset for us I think.

During the second half, Karius was going to take a short goal kick but we were being pressured so he encourages Lovren and TAA forward, thus not giving Karius any short options. Why cause ourselves problems, just lump it forward.

It is this game management around our box that caused the nerves a earlier in the season which have now gone now that we have someone with some brains at the back.

Lovren is a completely different player when he's alongside Van Dijk. If he carries on like this I could almost start to trust him.[/quote}

Yea. Crazy that and it will take a while but if Moreno can turn it around, why can’t dipsy Dejan .