You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

He’s a Liverpool fan. He has to be. He could have went to a few places and he’s come here. That Instagram photo and message seems more genuine than your usual PR nonsense. He’s sticking photos up with the shirt in his house with his mates not waiting for a number in some room with suits. It’s fucking great this.

Wow. If anything we'll finally know if the system or the individuals are responsible for our defensive issues.

Not a fan of the deal but I have to admit he is one of the most physically and technically impressive defenders I've seen.

You need a new CB to figure it out? It is obvious it is a bit of both. How many fucking ridiculous mistakes have Lovren made this season alone?

The way we play is not forgiving when making defensive errors, which is why we need a CB that doesnt make many and also has the brain, pace and strength to recover when it happens. We dont play a defensive system where we have the midfield shielding a back four thus making shit defenders look better than they are.

And you are right, VVD looks extremely impressive physically and technically.

• Upvote 1

Wow. If anything we'll finally know if the system or the individuals are responsible for our defensive issues.

Not a fan of the deal but I have to admit he is one of the most physically and technically impressive defenders I've seen.

After watching our defenders get bullied by Saloman Rondon the other week i think Van Dijk is absolutely what we need mate.

The one thing we struggle with is a big centre forward bullying our back line and allowing the opposition to hold the ball up and get out.

We are going to be ace with him and Kieta. Just need to get that cunt out of goal now. This is some side Klopp is building!

I think we had to get the deal over the line.

We left him hanging over the summer after leaking to the press we sat and left him in the lerch trying to force through a move. If we want players to commit when they could earn more elsehwere we need to show we will get the deal done

Agree with this.

Looks bad to any future players if we seem to have a tendancy to fuck them about, we know how averse footballers are with handing in transfer requests incase they get shafted and end up having to stay at a club where the fans and other players think they're a cunt, they'd also lose their loyalty bonus.

I don't expect this transfer malarkey to always be smooth, but we've done well out of the Keita and Van Dijk sagas considering where we were at, at one stage I thought we'd blown both deals by pissing off their clubs.

Hopefully it shows that when we are interested in a player then we genuinely see them as top priority, might make them feel a bit more special and mean they choose us over one if the richer clubs, or throw in a transfer request to get the deal moving, knowing that they can trust us to finish the job.

Very important signing, not only to instantly improve the team, but as a statement that we're not just here to take part. Should make some players want to join us, and our current crop of top players want to stay.

Boom. 5529d3ba2109f35c85db7fbeef095a35.jpg

• Upvote 1

After 234 pages of rumours, nonsense and twitter ITK's, his signing has made it all seem worthwhile. Hopefully he can change our defensive nature and we can secure top four and more this season and give Citeh a run for their money next season.

Van Dijk centre-back will move to Anfield in a transfer that is understood to be worth £75million, the highest price ever paid for a defender.

Van Dijk could not hide his excitement at securing his dream move in a statement on Twitter.

“Delighted and honoured to have agreed to become a Liverpool FC player!” he wrote.

“Today is a proud day for me and my family as I join one of the biggest clubs in world football.

“I can’t wait to pull on the famous red shirt for the first time in front of the Kop.

“And will give everything I have to try and help this great club achieve something special in the years to come.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Les Reed, the board, manager, players, fans and everyone at Southampton.

“I will always be indebted to the club for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

“And despite a difficult few months I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Saints and have made friends for life at the club. Thank you for everything.

“Thank you for all the messages of support. I’m now looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and getting started

• Upvote 1