You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Southampton have remained consistent on Virgil Van Dijk and it seems even the promise of £70m will not tempt them today. (Chris Bascombe)

Liverpool are now prepared to wait to secure their remaining targets rather than push them over the line today. (Chris Bascombe)

LFC Globe‏ @LFCGlobe 10s10 seconds ago

No Van Dijk for LFC this window.

Feckin typical us this.

Just one signing at the back to push us over the line, and we manage not to do it.

Par of the course

It isn't just about the personnel though, is it? We need some depth. We need pressure on positions. There were months last year where the likes of Coutinho/Firmino were out of form (maybe fatigued) and we had to keep playing them because there was simply nobody who could step in and challenge for their spots, or even give them a breather for a game or two. With the additions of Salah/OC we are now in a much better position at the top end of the pitch, but at CB we are one injury away from automatic selection, when there are already serious questions about the ability of 2/3 of our players for that position. We are 2 injuries or an injury and a ban away from having to play Gomez or slot Can or someone in there. Being in that situation with the volume of games we will have is setting ourselves up for the wheels to come off. I have to believe this deal will happen. It's been desperately clear we needed another body in there for months and it looks like we've just been going for VVD. If we'd known we couldn't get him then surely, surely we'd have been in for someone else?

We've got 4 CB's and as you say possibly Can maybe TAA who could play there.

As Ive said, I'll trust Klopp's decision.

We've got 4 CB's and as you say possibly Can maybe TAA who could play there.

As Ive said, I'll trust Klopp's decision.

Who are you counting as the 4th? Gomez?

Best bet would probably to bring Sakho in from the cold if you look at it with pure pragmatism. Seems impossible.

I rate Klopp in general but I think that if he thinks our personnel at CB is good enough as it is he has made a real error of judgement.

Best bet would probably to bring Sakho in from the cold if you look at it with pure pragmatism. Seems impossible.

I rate Klopp in general but I think that if he thinks our personnel at CB is good enough as it is he has made a real error of judgement.

Sakho isn't playing for us again. He's been unprofessional for a while now - and I don't see too many teams knocking down the door to sign him.

I also think it is a mistake. But, it is his error to make. 

Gomez was signed as a CB from Charlton. Sakho's shit his chances with Klopp. Move on.

Gomez was signed as a CB from Charlton. Sakho's shit his chances with Klopp. Move on.

Move on from what exactly, isn't this a discussion forum?

You trust Klopp, fine, I get that. I think it is mad that we were so reliant on Lucas at CB last year (in and of itself), have let him go, and haven't brought anyone else in. Not using that as a stick to beat anyone with in particular, I'm just not sure what the strategy is.

• Upvote 3