You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

A new centre half is far and away our biggest need.

Not signing one runs a very big risk of ultimately undermining and undoing our season.

couldnt agree more mate. It's exciting getting linked with the likes of lemar but not getting VVD would be a disaster imo.

I think Klopp is all in on VVD. That's the strength and also the weakness of it. When he goes for a player and convinces them to join, he's in, 100%, no matter what. It's part of the appeal, and I think it's why players run through brick walls for our manager. If he wants you there's no ambiguity whatsoever. It's why he has such a bond with the players too.

Now, the risk is we don't have a back up coming in. For example, the Ajax lad that Spurs signed might have been a good idea. But on the other hand, had we done that, VVD would probably be a Chelsea player right now. 

Klopp has a lot of courage. He's all in on his preferred player. We sit on the sidelines and say we would do this or that, just in case, but Klopp is playing poker and his style is all in.

It's utterly compelling.*

* And for those who prefer to play the percentages, unnerving.  

• Upvote 1

couldnt agree more mate. It's exciting getting linked with the likes of lemar but not getting VVD would be a disaster imo.

I am made up with Keita but obviously that is next year....Chamberlain - well we are going to have to give the lad a chance....would be nice to see Lemar but yeah VVD is the difference maker.

Being a miserable get and a pessimist I am gonna say we won't get him - Southampton have been too insistent IMO.

Hopefully i am wrong/We have another lined up.

Can anyone explain to me why Southampton would sell now, on the last day of the window? I'd like to believe it but I don't get what's changed for them.

Because they've already got their replacement in, we're going to give them a shitload of money, and Van Dijk has made it clear he doesn't want to be there and wants to come to us.