You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

On that premise, roma would have sold any player, we were just interested in salah. And if you remember, it took ages to get that deal done so I dont see how going for players at teams that need to sell helps.

Salah was Roma's most valuable asset. They wanted and needed to sell, but at the right price.

The difference with RBL and Southampon is they don't need to or want to sell. That's the fucking problem.

Salah was Roma's most valuable asset. They wanted and needed to sell, but at the right price.

The difference with RBL and Southampon is they don't need to or want to sell. That's the fucking problem.

So you're going to build a transfer strategy based on which clubs need to sell players? OK, we got salah from a club that needed to sell. The transfer wasnt completed particularly quickly and in this example, we wanted the player.

Let's go and raid the championship because Im sure shitloads of clubs there need to sell players.

So you're going to build a transfer strategy based on which clubs need to sell players? OK, we got salah from a club that needed to sell. The transfer wasnt completed particularly quickly and in this example, we wanted the player.

Let's go and raid the championship because Im sure shitloads of clubs there need to sell players.

Now you're just being a complete dick.

Have Southampton ever indicated that they wanted to sell Van Dijk even when City and Chelsea were linked? Before it was known that he only wanted to sign for us?

I think you'll find that's a big fat no. They have never indicated that he was for sale.

Now you're just being a complete dick.

Have Southampton ever indicated that they wanted to sell Van Dijk even when City and Chelsea were linked? Before it was known that he only wanted to sign for us?

I think you'll find that's a big fat no. They have never indicated that he was for sale.

Im not the one proposing we only deal with clubs that needs to sell. We've already seen under your masterplan than the salah deal wasnt done quick with loads calling for the club to 'move on' to other targets.

I also dont know how you're going to identify clubs that 'need to sell' and whether they have any players of interest.

Loads of people complained about signing robertson, his club needed to sell. If anyone's being a complete dick, it isnt me. The transfer window is only halfway through and you're panicing like a hysterical fanny.

Besides, we've been advertising players who are for sale for ages: 

- Moreno (currently being reviewed) 

- Lovern 

- Klavo 

- Origi 

Nobody wants them bar West Ham and therefore it's a naff strategy to base a transfer strategy on clubs needing/wanting to sell. You'd end up with more of the above. 

Besides, we've been advertising players who are for sale for ages:

- Moreno (currently being reviewed)

- Lovern

- Klavo

- Origi

Nobody wants them bar West Ham and therefore it's a naff strategy to base a transfer strategy on clubs needing/wanting to sell. You'd end up with more of the above.

Where'd you get the idea that we've been trying to sell Lovren, Origi and Klavan?

• Upvote 1

Where'd you get the idea that we've been trying to sell Lovren, Origi and Klavan?

I met with Klopp after the game and asked him who was for sale this summer following the game with Bayern/Spanish West Brom. 

He said tell Jose Jones that these quims are on the market. Keep it on the down low. 

Then he hugged me, laughed and ruffled my hair. 

• Upvote 1

I met with Klopp after the game and asked him who was for sale this summer following the game with Bayern/Spanish West Brom.

He said tell Jose Jones that these quims are on the market. Keep it on the down low.

Then he hugged me, laughed and ruffled my hair.

Lucky bastard.

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says he still wants Virgil Van Dijk to stay but has admitted the defender still wants out. (Echo)

Pellegrino: “We are expecting the best for everyone, even for Virgil, but he doesn't want to be part of the team."

Pellegrino: “I would like to bring the boy and to persuade him that he’s important for us and the club will not sell him."

Pellegrino: “I can’t say no more, because the situation is the boy is aside of the team because he doesn't want to play for us.”

• Upvote 1

He'll be like a new signing.

Seriously though, we're about to get lubed up by Southampton here because we're utterly desperate to get him (it seems), and he's categorically fucking Southampton off.

In our favour is that Southampton just lost 4-0 to Augsberg last night, their fans are a bit agitated, and so £50m would come in useful to them right about now.  Prior to that was a 2-2 draw with Brentford, and a 0-0 with St Gallen.

And also this:

Liebherr, who inherited the club from her late father, Markus, is committed to selling a substantial share in Saints.

She believes that in order for the club to move forward beyond its current position it needs a large injection of cash, which is something Liebherr cannot provide.

They need the money, and they don't need a sulky £50m asset.

Against us, is the issue of his fitness.  We still have no idea where he is in terms of fitness or that injury.  £50m on a CB would not be far off the world record for a defender, set by the Mendy transfer to City of £52m, and it could be we even surpass that.  With that comes pressure and expectation for him to play, but the realism is that he won't be taking part in any pre-season game at this late stage, and we would likely not see him in a shirt until late September, probably around the time of the first EFL Cup game. 

That said, our central defence has looked resolute in pre-season, and it could be that Van Dijk is a signing that would flourish as we come into December, when we need that injection of freshness.

The result is that we're in no hurry to get this deal over the line, and we can wait until the end of August if needs be, but in the meantime it's not nice for the player and it's not ideal for Klopp to be waiting on what will be a key signing, IF he remains fit.

• Upvote 2

He'll be like a new signing.

Seriously though, we're about to get lubed up by Southampton here because we're utterly desperate to get him (it seems), and he's categorically fucking Southampton off.

In our favour is that Southampton just lost 4-0 to Augsberg last night, their fans are a bit agitated, and so £50m would come in useful to them right about now. Prior to that was a 2-2 draw with Brentford, and a 0-0 with St Gallen.

And also this:

Liebherr, who inherited the club from her late father, Markus, is committed to selling a substantial share in Saints.

She believes that in order for the club to move forward beyond its current position it needs a large injection of cash, which is something Liebherr cannot provide.

They need the money, and they don't need a sulky £50m asset.

Against us, is the issue of his fitness. We still have no idea where he is in terms of fitness or that injury. £50m on a CB would not be far off the world record for a defender, set by the Mendy transfer to City of £52m, and it could be we even surpass that. With that comes pressure and expectation for him to play, but the realism is that he won't be taking part in any pre-season game at this late stage, and we would likely not see him in a shirt until late September, probably around the time of the first EFL Cup game.

That said, our central defence has looked resolute in pre-season, and it could be that Van Dijk is a signing that would flourish as we come into December, when we need that injection of freshness.

The result is that we're in no hurry to get this deal over the line, and we can wait until the end of August if needs be, but in the meantime it's not nice for the player and it's not ideal for Klopp to be waiting on what will be a key signing, IF he remains fit.

Why not get another centre half signed then? We may or may not get Van Dijk but we desperately need more cover there.

I dont see that there's a question mark regarding his fitness. Yes, he had an injury that kept him out since January but, he's been training 'normally' since late May.

He'll be lacking match fitness but as a centre back, it's not as if he's expected to bomb up and down the pitch. It may be that it would be October-ish before he's fully fit but I still dont see that as a hinderence to signing him.

Oh, and Shankly used to refer to his players as 'boys' so nothing new or unusual about that.