You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

I don't any new players will give a shit mate. Most of them only look short term and if Southampton will pay them more than where they are now, they will still go there and worry about everything else later.

He signed a 6 year contract last year which he had no intention of seeing out which I'm sure he got a decent wedge from.

For what it's worth, I reckon he will go elsewhere as Southampton will fuck us about so much

Signed a 5 year contract at Celtic the season prior to leaving them! 

Signed a 5 year contract at Celtic the season prior to leaving them!

Exactly, so contracts are not worth the paper they are written on so any new prospective player doesn't really give a shit about his move in a year or 2 ( yet ) otherwise they wouldn't sign long contracts

Exactly, so contracts are not worth the paper they are written on so any new prospective player doesn't really give a shit about his move in a year or 2 ( yet ) otherwise they wouldn't sign long contracts

Yeah I don't think it will matter - but if they force him to stay, then that might have an affect. 

David Maddock/Mirror:

Virgil van Dijk is close to forcing his way out of Southampton.

After tense meetings with the club this week the Liverpool target told Saints is still refusing to play for them. Southampton now face the prospect of an embarrassing climb-down over their refusal to do business with their Anfield rivals.

Boss Mauricio Pellegrino was hoping to persuade the Dutchman to resume training with his team-mates on Tuesday, even after van Dijk had been left out of the pre-season tour of France, when he said he was in not the right state of mind to play.

But now with the defender taking his stand off into a second week, and again training alone, the Saints boss knows any attempt at diplomacy is futile.

Talks yesterday were described as "crucial" to van Dijk's future at St Mary's, but he cut dead any hopes of a reconciliation, by reiterating his desire to leave, and also making clear his choice of destination is the Reds.

Executive director Les Reed was determined not to sell to Liverpool, but now he may have little option, with new boss Pellegrino growing increasingly frustrated at the impact of the situation on team morale a week away from the start of the new season.

With the Anfield outfit ready to pay close to £60m for the centre half, and van Dijk effectively refusing to play, Reed may be forced to decide the time has come to back down.

Both Manchester City and Chelsea have pulled out of the race for the 26-year-old because of his preference for Anfield, and now Saints are facing up to the prospect of inviting Liverpool to bid.

That could come within the next week. Liverpool apologised to Southampton and publicly ended their interest in van Dijk after being accused of an illegal approach, and they will not bid again until they get a clear message an approach would be welcome.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijk-close-forcing-10918879

Here are two possible alternatives to VVD, each of whom would cost 20 mill or less. They're both excellent defensively and not scared to have the ball at their feet. Van Dyk is an excellent player and I would love to have him but we shouldn't be even thinking about paying 60 or 70 million for him, no effing way!

Savic should be in the line-up this evening and he's good in the air and very strong on the ground also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9ix92DcI4

Mammana we supposedly put in  15 mill bid for early last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtyTPuTArjk

Neither of them seem to have to dead ball skills of VVD but surely we don't need him to take free kicks. Defensively they both have the goods, and again for much, much less cash.

Let's stop effing about with Southampton ...if they will sell us VVD reasonably then let's do it. If not, we are Liverpool ...let's move on.

Mammana has gone - get over it

Considering that he was only transferred yesterday, what is there to get over?

Zenit paid 14.3 for him, he's 21 and has a highlight film the equal of Van Dyk's. Yet we are dying to give Soton 60 mill for someone who, based on history, may pull the same shyte with us next year if Real come calling.

What's wrong with this picture, MacFly ...?

Savic was shite at City and Mammana just went to Zenit. Would like to find out what Atletico demand for Gimenez though.

He may have been shite at City but he's not shite now. He was also 21 at City. He's now 26 and a very strong player for Atletico. For 20 mill he's worth a look I would think.

I know fuck all about these things and kick off to the wife at paying £2.75 for a bottle of Coke at the cinema.

But. But who the fuck is this fella. I'm sure he is a good player but he is not 19 and a hot prospect. Spent a season injured Blah Blah Blah.

We we all crying into our beer a few years ago at spending apparent 'pennies' on Carroll.

Fuck this shit.

I got a executive level bollocking at a meeting when they announced record profits and suggested they buy 1/2 of Pogba.

Fuck him off and spend 100 million in Bootle, Kirby etc. You will get 2 or 3.

The idea of him as an alternative to Van Dijk - which I thought your post was about.

My post as about two possible substitutes to Dijk, there are others. My post was also about not being held to ransom by Southampton or paying out our arse when there are alternatives.

My apologies if I'm not as current with footie transfers as you.

I honestly don't see how this deal is going to happen.

Southampton just like RBL don't have to sell.

Maybe next time, we should focus on clubs that need to sell or players that have buy out clauses as we're fucking shite at negotiations.

Lovren as a fucking starter going into a new season is depressing as fuck.

I honestly don't see how this deal is going to happen.

Southampton just like RBL don't have to sell.

Maybe next time, we should focus on clubs that need to sell or players that have buy out clauses as we're fucking shite at negotiations.

Lovren as a fucking starter going into a new season is depressing as fuck.

Do the clubs that need to sell have better players or something?

Salah being a prime example. Roma had to sell because of FFP.

On that premise, roma would have sold any player, we were just interested in salah. And if you remember, it took ages to get that deal done so I dont see how going for players at teams that need to sell helps.