You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Whilst I would love us to sign Van Dijk there is an argument to be made that we should move on if we can't agree a deal with Southampton this week. He has been injured for six months and has now had a disrupted pre-season so we have not had an opportunity to confirm he is fully recovered. In reality, he won't be match-fit until towards the end of September at the earliest. Lovren and Gomez are currently injured too so there is the possibility that we will be starting the season with Klavan at centre-half with no cover. I appreciate we would be signing him for five years rather than five weeks but I don't want to scupper our chances of competing for the league this year by being held to ransom by Southampton.  

Despite their claims, Southampton will not be relishing the prospect of a disgruntled captain having to be re-integrated into their squad and the possibility that they never receive similar offers again if it transpires he has lingering issues due to the ankle injury.

• Upvote 1

Whilst I would love us to sign Van Dijk there is an argument to be made that we should move on if we can't agree a deal with Southampton this week. He has been injured for six months and has now had a disrupted pre-season so we have not had an opportunity to confirm he is fully recovered. In reality, he won't be match-fit until towards the end of September at the earliest. Lovren and Gomez are currently injured too so there is the possibility that we will be starting the season with Klavan at centre-half with no cover. I appreciate we would be signing him for five years rather than five weeks but I don't want to scupper our chances of competing for the league this year by being held to ransom by Southampton.

Despite their claims, Southampton will not be relishing the prospect of a disgruntled captain having to be re-integrated into their squad and the possibility that they never receive similar offers again if it transpires he has lingering issues due to the ankle injury.

They really won't give a shit if they've got a disgruntled captain in their squad, they have previous in making players stay another season even after they've put in a transfer request.

Hmmm.

Southampton are weighing up a £12million move for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt as they prepare for Virgil van Dijk's departure.

The £60million-rated Van Dijk is due to discuss his future with the club this week after telling them he wanted to move on. He spent last week training on his own at Southampton's Staplewood training base while the team were on a pre-season trip to France. Liverpool were warned over their approaches to Van Dijk earlier in the summer but that has not prevented the 26-year-old from voicing a desire to move to Anfield.

42DA2DC700000578-4747206-image-a-30_1501

Southampton are considering a £12million bid for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt

Chelsea have also been monitoring developments but Van Dijk wants to link up with Jurgen Klopp.

Mauricio Pellegrino has been using Jack Stephens and Maya Yoshida as his centre-back pairing and they have Poland Under 21 international Jan Bednarek to call upon also.

However, talks have taken place over Hoedt, another Holland international, who has been at Lazio since 2015.

The 23-year-old was a target for Southampton last summer while Middlesbrough, Leicester and Everton have also considered the former Alkmaar centre back. Hoedt is strong in the air, comfortable on the ball and a good reader of the game

• Upvote 1

Hmmm.

Southampton are weighing up a £12million move for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt as they prepare for Virgil van Dijk's departure.

The £60million-rated Van Dijk is due to discuss his future with the club this week after telling them he wanted to move on. He spent last week training on his own at Southampton's Staplewood training base while the team were on a pre-season trip to France. Liverpool were warned over their approaches to Van Dijk earlier in the summer but that has not prevented the 26-year-old from voicing a desire to move to Anfield.

42DA2DC700000578-4747206-image-a-30_1501 

Southampton are considering a £12million bid for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt

Chelsea have also been monitoring developments but Van Dijk wants to link up with Jurgen Klopp.

Mauricio Pellegrino has been using Jack Stephens and Maya Yoshida as his centre-back pairing and they have Poland Under 21 international Jan Bednarek to call upon also.

However, talks have taken place over Hoedt, another Holland international, who has been at Lazio since 2015.

The 23-year-old was a target for Southampton last summer while Middlesbrough, Leicester and Everton have also considered the former Alkmaar centre back. Hoedt is strong in the air, comfortable on the ball and a good reader of the game

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4747206/Liverpool-ramp-Virgil-van-Dijk-chase.html#ixzz4oR7eK2dG

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just go straight for this lad & cut out the middleman

• Upvote 6

I'd keep Sahko at this rate. If we aren't going to sell him, play him. He's not good enough long term but he's better than Klavan.

That's not going to improve our defence though is it?

The problem is Sakho, Lovren or Klaven are not good enough.

All have mistakes in them and I would only class Sakho as a leader.

For anyone who thinks Sakho is good enough, just watch the Norwich 4-5 highlights.

There's a valid debate to be had about Sakho's level as a player. He is a leader and he does take responsibility, and on the positive side there's the sort of stuff that he showed at Crystal Palace, where he was excellent, but then there are also the lapses of judgment and general awkwardness in his play that make you think he's not a top class player. 

We've seen both sides of it when he has worn a red shirt, so while there is an argument to be had about the level of the player, there is no argument in the fact that it seems he has burned his bridges with Klopp, and the manager just doesn't seem to rate him as a player, and perhaps even as a person.

It would need an enormous u-turn for Sakho to be welcomed back into the fold. If we don't sign another central defender this summer then arguably the manager will bury the hatchet with the player and be pragmatic about it all, but I'm not holding my breath! 

I have read the comments regarding Lovren & Sakho and have also winced at some of their errors over the past few seasons, but in reality we appear to be in an era of relatively poor centre halves, with the options out there so threadbare that we are considering offering £60m for a guy with very little experience & coming off a serious injury.

While I would not suggest either would ever be spoken of in the same breath as our great central defenders of the past, I reckon a first 3 of Matip, Lovren & Sakho would compare favourably with the first 3 of most if not all of our immediate PL rivals.