You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

We've had Villa, Fulham and Southampton whinge about out transfer conduct (there might be others but I can't remember off the top of my head), and I am pretty certain we haven't had the exact same people dealing with transfers on all these occasions, and yet these clubs have seen fit to lodge official complaints for something that quite clearly goes on everywhere.

It's been reported for several days now that Van Dijk has spoken to ourselves as well as the likes of CIty and Chelsea, and yet Southampton are only now claiming that they hadn't given anyone permission to speak to their player, and that there has been an illegal approach. The whole thing smacks of a shakedown and I reckon it's because Southampton thought they'll get more money out of City or Chelsea if they sold Van Dijk to one of them. They want us to cough up more to make their 'grievance' go away.

And Middleborough for Ziege

The niggling doubt about this tapping up claim is the last incident with the stoke schoolboy. The club were adamant they had done no wrong and were reported in the Echo of being 'relaxed' about their position.

Turns out the FA \ PL didnt see it that way at all and stuck us with an academy ban.

It may well be no one sticks to the rules nowadays, that isnt the point. The point is what the rules say and if there's a complaint and the powers that be agree, you're banged to rights.

That said, I think trumo nailed it. Southampton do not want to sell van Dijk. It must infuriate them that once again, we are in for one of their better players. The fact city have supposedly 'dropped out' and no action from chelsea means there's little room to drive the transfer fee upwards.

The whole thing has a fucking bad smell around it though and this agents speaking to clubs on behalf of players either needs to be recognised as part and parcel of the game or shut down.

I reckon Southampton are just annoyed that VVD said he specifically wants to join us. Ruins and chance of a 3 way bidding war.

They can't really be annoyed that we keep taking their players, the players probably would have left anyway and they've been more than fairly compensated for their troubles.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Is there anything more stupid than the tapping up rules in football? In the real world, you don't need permission from your current employer to talk to other employers.

Either way, Southampton are obviously seething that another one of their players wants to join us and about the subsequent leaks to the press. Nothing to see here, although we'll probably need van Dijk to put in a transfer request now.

I reckon Southampton are just annoyed that VVD said he specifically wants to join us. Ruins and chance of a 3 way bidding war.

They can't really be annoyed that we keep taking their players, the players probably would have left anyway and they've been more than fairly compensated for their troubles.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

In a nutshell. It's all about saving face, especially when they'll be losing another mainstay very soon.

• Upvote 2