You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Keita seems to have fobbed us off. As has Mbappe by all accounts.

Salah isn't wanted by anyone remotely near our calibre.

Who exactly is dying to sign for us?

We got turned down by a pre-puberty left back for fucks sake.

Errrr, the most sought after centre back on the market for starters. Plus, Salah is our first choice winger. When's the last time we've actually closed a first choice target? I'll tell you the answer, it's been a while.

Keita's said he won't make a decision till after his holiday and Mbappe is the most wanted player in the world and he's only signing for Real Madrid.

This transfer window is set to be the best we've ever had.

• Upvote 1

Errrr, the most sought after centre back on the market for starters. Plus, Salah is our first choice winger. When's the last time we've actually closed a first choice target? I'll tell you the answer, it's been a while.

Keita's said he won't make a decision till after his holiday and Mbappe is the most wanted player in the world and he's only signing for Real Madrid.

This transfer window is so far already one of the best we've ever had.

That's much more balanced than your original post.

Pretty sure Brendan got his first choice everything in his last window, but yes, let's try and forget that because it hurts my head.

I'm slightly off about this transfer considering he has a bad injury, but as soon as some Mancs start piping up about how much he isn't worth it, then I'll be defending the big fella like he's the second coming of Ron Yeats.

Yes but think about the joke potential of that name!

I was always under the impression you had to have the selling club's permission to speak to under contract players, the exception being when there's 6 months or less to run on the contract.

van Dijk is supposedly on a 5 year contract so how have we and others been talking to him? It has been all over the papers that the player has spoken to conte and klopp (not sure about guardiola but Im sure he has) so Southampton must have either allowed that or not. But I cant see how 2 possibly 3 clubs would be talking to him without Southampton's permission.

Lots of talks seem to go on through agents nowadays but it seems a stretch given the players comments that he hasnt met clubs directly.

I'm slightly off about this transfer considering he has a bad injury, but as soon as some Mancs start piping up about how much he isn't worth it, then I'll be defending the big fella like he's the second coming of Ron Yeats.

Christ, you'd think he had a cruciate ligament injury that's kept him out for nearly a year.

It's actually funny to watch how many people are freaking out over this on Twitter.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone in football knows that the transfer rules that govern tapping up and such are completely and hopelessly outdated and that absolutely no one follows them.  They are a perfect example of a polite fiction and Southampton know this as well as anyone.

The result of this threatened action will be some bluster, allowing Southampton to save face with their fans.  Best case for them, it takes an extra week to complete the transfer.  If memory serves there was something similar during our pursuit of Clyne.

As for those concerned about a ban or points deduction, you can only laugh at them.  If the Premier League were to investigate and punish this, they'd have to do the same for 100% of transfers that have happened in the past 5 years.  Including Southampton's.

• Upvote 2

We've had Villa, Fulham and Southampton whinge about out transfer conduct (there might be others but I can't remember off the top of my head), and I am pretty certain we haven't had the exact same people dealing with transfers on all these occasions, and yet these clubs have seen fit to lodge official complaints for something that quite clearly goes on everywhere.

It's been reported for several days now that Van Dijk has spoken to ourselves as well as the likes of CIty and Chelsea, and yet Southampton are only now claiming that they hadn't given anyone permission to speak to their player, and that there has been an illegal approach. The whole thing smacks of a shakedown and I reckon it's because Southampton thought they'll get more money out of City or Chelsea if they sold Van Dijk to one of them. They want us to cough up more to make their 'grievance' go away.

• Upvote 1