You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're having a collection for Remmie's dad

Champ

Has everyone seen Remmie’s Collection for Ukraine thread?

It’s been pinned at the top of the page. I don’t know if others are the same but my brain doesn’t always register pinned threads that don’t move.

Donation on its way x

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Champ said:

Has everyone seen Remmie’s Collection for Ukraine thread?

It’s been pinned at the top of the page. I don’t know if others are the same but my brain doesn’t always register pinned threads that don’t move.

Donation on its way x

That's a good point actually, I often ignore the sticky threads out of habit and combined with there being another Ukraine thread it's easy to dismiss. Not sure what to do about it though. 

Anyway, thank you all for your kind words. 

• Upvote 1

It's kind of mad all the ailments he was struggling with at the end: left sided disability from a stroke, dementia, acute kidney failure, frailty and muscle wastage from being bed bound for a year, infections in his chest, bladder and colon and finally aspiration pneumonia. In his last few days we listened to some Beatles, Brian Eno and Elvis Costello and the Adam Buxton podcast. It's fair to say he has much better taste than me. 

In the rougher times in the past week he was struggling with his breathing with all the fluid on his lungs so I was terrified he would suffocate or be struggling to the point of death but he actually went very slowly and gently with increasingly longer breaks between breaths so I was glad I was with him both for him and for me. 

Our family don't half like having all our catastrophes at once. 

I appreciate all your words of condolences and realise this is quite an indulgent continuation of the thread considering most of you keep your family emergencies to yourselves. It's been nice to talk about it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

13 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I appreciate all your words of condolences and realise this is quite an indulgent continuation of the thread considering most of you keep your family emergencies to yourselves. It's been nice to talk about it. 

Don't be silly Rem. Everyone is here for you, talk away. 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

It's kind of mad all the ailments he was struggling with at the end: left sided disability from a stroke, dementia, acute kidney failure, frailty and muscle wastage from being bed bound for a year, infections in his chest, bladder and colon and finally aspiration pneumonia. In his last few days we listened to some Beatles, Brian Eno and Elvis Costello and the Adam Buxton podcast. It's fair to say he has much better taste than me. 

In the rougher times in the past week he was struggling with his breathing with all the fluid on his lungs so I was terrified he would suffocate or be struggling to the point of death but he actually went very slowly and gently with increasingly longer breaks between breaths so I was glad I was with him both for him and for me. 

Our family don't half like having all our catastrophes at once. 

My condolences. Tough to lose your dad. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Remmie said:

On the day of the invasion my dad went to hospital and quickly became very ill. We were told he may only have a few hours left. The tough fucker stubbornly held on, but today he passed away in my arms. It's been an awful week. 

He was very touched by this amazing collection as was I and I'll never forget it. Thank you for bringing him that joy. 

So sorry to hear that, Zeb. Sending love to you and your family.

• Upvote 1