You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glasses

I just got my first pair of prescription varifocal glasses that also react to light. They're great as I can wear them all the time and depending on what I look at the glasses help me to read up close and see in the distance at the same time. As I'm long-sighted I see much better in the distance without them but it's handy I can drive and read wearing the same specs.

The glasses don't react too well to light through windscreens though.

8 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They're great as I can wear them all the time and depending on what I look at the glasses help me to read up close and see in the distance at the same time

I know you're knew to this but you sound a bit surprised.

8 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I just got my first pair of prescription varifocal glasses that also react to light. They're great as I can wear them all the time and depending on what I look at the glasses help me to read up close and see in the distance at the same time. As I'm long-sighted I see much better in the distance without them but it's handy I can drive and read wearing the same specs.

The glasses don't react too well to light through windscreens though.

I've been wearing varifocals for about 10 years. They take a bit of getting used to but once you are they're brilliant.

I don't have reactolights though, I didn't like them , just an anti glare coating and scratch resistance which are essential.

You need a good optician to set them up properly though as a certain company have been more than a bit shit for me in the past with a lot of visits to get them right.

It's not just distance or close things they're good for, it's the mid range things as well, something a lot of people need as they get into their 50's.

23 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

I know you're knew to this but you sound a bit surprised.

My writing has served my feelings well. I thought it was just a marketing gimmick in all honesty.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

My writing has served my feelings well. I thought it was just a marketing gimmick in all honesty.

I tried longer arms at first, looked like a twat so went your route. Welcome to the world of seeing stuff you'd forgotten.

22 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've been wearing varifocals for about 10 years. They take a bit of getting used to but once you are they're brilliant.

I don't have reactolights though, I didn't like them , just an anti glare coating and scratch resistance which are essential.

You need a good optician to set them up properly though as a certain company have been more than a bit shit for me in the past with a lot of visits to get them right.

It's not just distance or close things they're good for, it's the mid range things as well, something a lot of people need as they get into their 50's.

It’s the middle distance that’s helped me I think, having exceptional long range vision is probably great for a sniper but not so great when you’re looking at a screen or tv etc.  Smears really affect them so they have to be kept clean but definitely better than any I’ve had so far. I’ve picked up frames by Hugo boss and Land Rover. God knows how they managed to get into glasses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2022 at 11:38, Bjornebye said:

Had an eye test about 4 and a half years ago, she told me I need them. Put it off since. Booked in for another eye test tomorrow. My right eye has been shit since I split my head open a few years back. I'm gonna have to take the plunge. 

It's glasses, polo necks and chinos from here on in. 

Picked my new gigs up earlier. Honestly don't know how I managed without them looking at screens. I keep taking them off and can't hardly make out a fucking thing. I think I was just guessing words. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2022 at 17:27, Bjornebye said:

Picked my new gigs up earlier. Honestly don't know how I managed without them looking at screens. I keep taking them off and can't hardly make out a fucking thing. I think I was just guessing words. 

Don't worry, nobody has been writing that @Bjornebye is a fvkcing cvnt. 

2 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

I'm short-sighted, but my near vision has started to go so I've been using cheap readers to read things when the light isn't so great.  I wear contacts so don't know if I want to if I want to take the plunge and go back to glasses with vari-focals.

Can’t believe how expensive varifocals were, about £200 for the full range!

• 3 months later...

eye test today at boots. £50 fucking quid. Had to go for the full exam as a friend died recently from  multiple tumours as he didnt want to pay extra on his eye test. 

So, one of my eyes is really fucked. optician said its 20 years older than it should be.

Some kind of macullar deformity. Doesnt cause any trouble but ive been told on numerous tests that if  i start to see wavy lines to get to the hospital as quick as possible. Really enjoy paying £50 for anxiety attacks, the pricks.

• Upvote 1