You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glasses

Guest Pistonbroke

I will mate, they said I had minor distance issue last year, I will go after Xmas and get them I think, another one put off.

After Doctor and Dentist.

That seems to be the case, having distance issues is why you already need glasses for watching TV, you can guarantee you should use them for driving. It doesn't make a massive difference if truth be told, but it is extremely more relaxing on the eyes for long journeys and driving on those tight streets where every cunt parks on both sides. 

Been wearing glasses for over 60 years now.

Afew years ago I discovered

http://www.zennioptical.com

I wear varifocals now (hated bifocals) because I can afford zennis prices.

Frames plus prescription lenses cost $7 US up. Upload a photo of yourself and (using the distance between the center of your pupils) they show what the frames look like on you. Varifocals cost about $30 a pair extra as opposed to my local optometrists $175 per lens on top of the price of the frames..

Tints (sunglasses) in a multitude of colours and grades $5, clip- on sunnies $4.

My eyesight has been a problem for most of my life but I now have a range of pairs for just about every need (driving, close up work, computer etc) and they cost peanuts.

Just get a prescription from your optometrists, fill in your script and away you go.

Can't recommend them highly enough and no, I don't get any commission from them!

• 4 years later...

Had an eye test about 4 and a half years ago, she told me I need them. Put it off since. Booked in for another eye test tomorrow. My right eye has been shit since I split my head open a few years back. I'm gonna have to take the plunge. 

It's glasses, polo necks and chinos from here on in. 

On 18/12/2017 at 13:27, Karl_b said:

Worn them since I was 18 and now I look wrong without them, so would never switch to contacts and there's no chance I'm having a fricking laser beam in my eye.

Colleague of mine had the laser surgery. After that huge investment he proceeded to protect his eyes with poundland sunglasses from bright light till they fully healed.

Idiot.

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Had an eye test about 4 and a half years ago, she told me I need them. Put it off since. Booked in for another eye test tomorrow. My right eye has been shit since I split my head open a few years back. I'm gonna have to take the plunge. 

It's glasses, polo necks and chinos from here on in. 

if it’s just the right side then a monocle is the way to go

edit: reminds me, you never see kids with a pair of glasses with a plaster over one eye anymore. You should bring that back as a fashion thing

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Colleague of mine had the laser surgery. After that huge investment he proceeded to protect his eyes with poundland sunglasses from bright light till they fully healed.

Idiot.

My brother in law had an eye done a few years ago and has regretted it ever since.

I don't know if it was Laser or Lasik, but whatever it was has caused dry eye in that eye so has to use drops to lubricate.

To make matters worse, when he went for an eye test a couple of years later he needed glasses again so it was all for nothing. Fuck that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

if it’s just the right side then a monocle is the way to go

edit: reminds me, you never see kids with a pair of glasses with a plaster over one eye anymore. You should bring that back as a fashion thing

You’ve been away too long. It still happens here

Been a full-scale speccy twat for a long time. Got loads of pairs, including one set a couple of mates call ‘The 1970’s childsnatcher’. I just had to embrace wearing glasses more or less full-time as my eyesight deteriorated so quickly once it started going. 

Thinking about having laser eye this summer though because I also have a cracking collection of sunglasses I can’t wear if I want to see anything. Possibly the most shallow reason I’ve ever had for considering something like that and it was a low bar to get under.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Been a full-scale speccy twat for a long time. Got loads of pairs, including one set a couple of mates call ‘The 1970’s childsnatcher’. I just had to embrace wearing glasses more or less full-time as my eyesight deteriorated so quickly once it started going. 

Thinking about having laser eye this summer though because I also have a cracking collection of sunglasses I can’t wear if I want to see anything. Possibly the most shallow reason I’ve ever had for considering something like that and it was a low bar to get under.

Is it a permanent fix? 

Prescription sunglasses were a game changer last summer. I’m now working up to getting prescription sports sunglasses 

1 minute ago, Champ said:

Is it a permanent fix? 

Prescription sunglasses were a game changer last summer. I’m now working up to getting prescription sports sunglasses 

My friend who had it done says its not permanent and your eyesight could still deteriorate in later life 

12 minutes ago, Champ said:

Is it a permanent fix? 

What Clem said I imagine. I’ve heard mixed reports.

I too have a very well-loved pair of prescription sunglasses. 

2 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

What Clem said I imagine. I’ve heard mixed reports.

I too have a very well-loved pair of prescription sunglasses. 

I know of people who have had a positive experience as well so it can be a really good thing.

There are always risks with any type of procedure, it's just a matter of weighing up the pro's and con's and whether it's a risk worth taking.

I'm squeamish about anything to do with my eyes and like a big soft kid if I get a fly or an eyelash in them, so unless I was as blind as a bat and the pro's outweighed the con's, I wouldn't consider it, certainly not for cosmetic reasons, but good luck to those that do.

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'm squeamish about anything to do with my eyes and like a big soft kid if I get a fly or an eyelash in them, so unless I was as blind as a bat and the pro's outweighed the con's, I wouldn't consider it, certainly not for cosmetic reasons, but good luck to those that do.

One of the barriers to getting contact lens this - got a weird fear of not being able to get them out. 

Watched a few youtube videos to calm my anxiety and hyped myself up to get them. Sat down for the "you have to get them out three times before you can take them home" test and the bint assisting me was the most useless quim I've met and kept telling me stupid shit that only made me more anxious. 

Ended up getting the optician to get them out and walked out in complete shame. 

1 hour ago, Bot said:

One of the barriers to getting contact lens this - got a weird fear of not being able to get them out. 

Watched a few youtube videos to calm my anxiety and hyped myself up to get them. Sat down for the "you have to get them out three times before you can take them home" test and the bint assisting me was the most useless quim I've met and kept telling me stupid shit that only made me more anxious. 

Ended up getting the optician to get them out and walked out in complete shame. 

At least you tried mate.

I used to work with a fella (the one I was on about in my previous post) who had really bad eyesight and wore very thick glasses, proper milk bottle bottoms that were so heavy he had to push them back up every few seconds.

He ended up getting contacts but because the prescription was so strong his eyes looked almost conical. They must have been so bloody uncomfortable, plus, because of the oily atmosphere in work he kept getting eye infections.

I bumped into him 7 or 8 years back. He'd taken early retirement to look after his Mrs and had had laser surgery. He said it was the best thing he ever did.