You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Bancroft should have received a serious reprimand, not more.

Why? Because in any workplace, and he still could pursue it if he felt I think, he could have more than reasonably claimed bullying/coercion/following orders though fear etc.

I'd rather he'd have told every one of the reprehensible cunts to fuck off, but I can accept perhaps why he didn't.

The others, good riddance.

The Lehmann non-sanction? Scandalous. A throwback to the old ACB "us and them" days... that spawned World Series Cricket.

Mind you, it fits in with Ian Chappell's convenient view of the influence of a cricket coach: "In cricket, the only coach is the vehicle you all get on to... to drive you to the ground."

Bancroft had to be punished, and his punishment had to be seen as a deterrent to others.

His punishment needed to be less than far more experienced players who imo bullied him into it.

Interesting CA have said Smith and Bancroft will not be considered for leadership roles for 2 years where as Warner will never be considered for a leadership role ever again.

With Lehmann, I just can’t respect the guy. He’s hid like a coward, tried to help the players get away with cheating and I’d love to know what he said to Smith and Bancroft before that presser when they then lie about tape too.

It seems it was indeed sandpaper that Bancroft was using and not just tape, so that would have a massive effect on roughing up one side of the ball.

It's ludicrous of Cricket Australia to say this was a one off as well surely.

I think the reason this is so serious is that the Aussies were a bit preachy about playing the game hard but fair, and a lot of Aussie fans bought into that. Now that 's been shown to be a load of guff.

I see Jim Maxwell has been making out that Warner is the real villain of the piece, saying that he was the one who put Bancroft up to it and that Smith walked away saying he didn't want to know about it. Is there an effort by the team to make Warner the prime scapegoat in this?

I think these lads have badly let down the sport and Australian cricket in particular, but I still don't see it anywhere near as bad as the match fixing scandal of Hansie Cronje and the spot fixing by the Pakistan players.

I think these lads have badly let down the sport and Australian cricket in particular, but I still don't see it anywhere near as bad as the match fixing scandal of Hansie Cronje and the spot fixing by the Pakistan players.

Cronje is obviously very different agreed.

But spot fixing? It’s more of a grey area for me.

I can’t see such a massive difference between cheating to make money and cheating to win the game.

Bancroft had to be punished, and his punishment had to be seen as a deterrent to others.

Someone being bullied in the workplace - if we're true to today's SJW standards - shouldn't be punished as a deterrent to other would-be "bullees" coerced into doing wrong, if we're to be fair I think.

However, I could be wrong and am often inconsistent and contradictory in my views, Lifey, as you know.

And I'm also having a fruitless hot-cross bun as I write, slathered in "Kerrygold" butter and raspberry jam, so my judgment could very probably be horribly askew.

In fact, I'm going to have another.

I wouldn't have given Bancroft more than a ticking off. I know he isn't 14, and should be responsible for his actions, but the pressure he'd have been under must have been immense.

None of his options were great.

Refuse, keep quiet, see your International career disappear (certainly short/mid term - which could be enough to kill it).

Refuse, kick up a huge fuss and pray that your word is accepted. If it isn't, see the previous option's result plus a skip full of abuse.

Accept, and just hope you don't get caught.

Anyone involved in deciding, or even merely agreeing, that it should be Bancroft is a massive, massive cunt.

• Upvote 1

In a funny way , their coming clean has worked totally against them , nobody with any sense will ever admit anything again.

Warner will probably follow the ' travel the world ' playing short-form cricket and making more money than he is at present.

Smith may consider that himself , being 30 in June & nearly 31 when he comes back from the ban , and unlikely to ever get any leadership role again.

If they do , let's see how long it takes the Aussie press and public to forget their disgust and start grizzling about losing tests without their two best batters.

If they do , let's see how long it takes the Aussie press and public to forget their disgust and start grizzling about losing tests without their two best batters.

Spending time speculating about putting a time frame on the inevitable... is uselessly spending time that we'll never get back. 

So let's not see.... and rather hope that some decent young chaps get their opportunity, having toiled away relatively impecuniously either side of our esteemed Big Bash League every season.

Someone being bullied in the workplace - if we're true to today's SJW standards - shouldn't be punished as a deterrent to other would-be "bullees" coerced into doing wrong, if we're to be fair I think.

However, I could be wrong and am often inconsistent and contradictory in my views, Lifey, as you know.

And I'm also having a fruitless hot-cross bun as I write, slathered in "Kerrygold" butter and raspberry jam, so my judgment could very probably be horribly askew.

In fact, I'm going to have another.

What he did was wrong - he needed to be stronger but as you say he’s a victim of circumstance.

6 months would have been sufficient, when you compare that to the 5 years Amir got.

I wouldn't have given Bancroft more than a ticking off. I know he isn't 14, and should be responsible for his actions, but the pressure he'd have been under must have been immense.

None of his options were great.

Refuse, keep quiet, see your International career disappear (certainly short/mid term - which could be enough to kill it).

Refuse, kick up a huge fuss and pray that your word is accepted. If it isn't, see the previous option's result plus a skip full of abuse.

Accept, and just hope you don't get caught.

Anyone involved in deciding, or even merely agreeing, that it should be Bancroft is a massive, massive cunt.

Completely agree with that and said so earlier in the thread.

Their story has changed completely from what they initially said. I reckon a few more were involved or are aware but Smith and Warner are covering for them as it's been going on for a while.

I hope Warner goes rogue and comes out with the full story when he gets back to Australia.

Their story has changed completely from what they initially said. I reckon a few more were involved or are aware but Smith and Warner are covering for them as it's been going on for a while.

I hope Warner goes rogue and comes out with the full story when he gets back to Australia.

That’s without doubt.

You don’t get caught first time.

It there's a "full story", he'll do it and charge a pretty penny for it.

England were rubbish in the Ashes but all along I was very surprised by the one-sidedness.

Why did the Aussies fare so much better on some of those roads?

Perhaps there's more to to it.

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

Fuck Bancroft too.

He's 25 not 15.

Yes of course.

Apart from mate, if it were a 25-year-old in an office, say, being instructed by his/her boss to do something shady, it would I suspect be an open and shut case of bullying and non mea culpa.

I agree with you.

But throwing him under the bus might be classed as double standards - albeit by today's shitty, flimsy and hypocritical measures.

Fuck Bancroft too.

He's 25 not 15.

Bancroft should have told the two cunts to fuck off.

However, he was put in a horrendous position. His Captain, Vice Captain are asking him to cheat, he’s not even into double figures for caps.

And then you have to question how much Lehmann knew...

He was put into a horrific position, anyone would have questioned their international career put in the same position.

lifetime fan, on 29 Mar 2018 - 05:51 AM, said:

Bancroft should have told the two cunts to fuck off.

However, he was put in a horrendous position. His Captain, Vice Captain are asking him to cheat, he’s not even into double figures for caps.

And then you have to question how much Lehmann knew...

He was put into a horrific position, anyone would have questioned their international career put in the same position.

Is it clear that the Captain and Vice Captain asked him to do it against his wishes though?

Bancroft was pretty happy to take part in shafting Bairstow over the headbutt nonsense - although that was obviously Warner shouting into microphones and then the media hysteria that blew that out of all proportion.

• Upvote 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43580069

I think this young man (and don't forget that is still what he is) realises the gravity of what he has been involved in and is genuinely sorry.

To me he looks a broken man and quite frankly i find it appalling that anyone would take any pleasure from seeing someone so utterly publicly destroyed.  

• Upvote 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43580069

I think this young man (and don't forget that is still what he is) realises the gravity of what he has been involved in and is genuinely sorry.

To me he looks a broken man and quite frankly i find it appalling that anyone would take any pleasure from seeing someone so utterly publicly destroyed.

I don't see anyone taking any pleasure from anyone or anything involved in this situation mate. Cricket was the loser.

He does appear genuinely sorry, would he have been as sorry if they weren't caught though?