You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

BBC Sport website's leading 'story' is that an ex-England captain 'thinks' Australia might have been ball-tampering in the Ashes, with not a whisper of evidence anywhere in the piece.

The BBC across all it's platforms have really gone to rat shit over the last couple of years proper lazy journalism
  • Upvote 1

There's a certain irony of someone in this thread calling out bullying as being despicable, which it is, whilst at the same time belittling another poster's opinion as delusional, talking bollocks and calling him a prick for good measure. The lack of self awareness is outstanding.

If Lehmann knew nothing, then surely, as coach (ie leader) of the group, he'd have no qualms answering questions as to why the leadership in the group has gone to shit to allow this.

Not. A. Word. Fucking coward.

Jesus they ball tampered like every fucking side ever, when is this bleeding nonsense going to end.

I try to have the sports channels on as often as I can ( when the Mrs isn't watching ) but I have had to avoid them for 3 days now because of this cobblers. 

Jesus they ball tampered like every fucking side ever, when is this bleeding nonsense going to end.

I try to have the sports channels on as often as I can ( when the Mrs isn't watching ) but I have had to avoid them for 3 days now because of this cobblers. 

OK, lads.  You've convinced me.

Sand(paper)storm in a tea cup.

1 year bans for Smith and Warner, 9 months for Bancroft. Can play outside Australia though.

Excluding India now.

Seems a bit harsh overall, they've effectively committed an act on a similar level as diving to win a penalty. All sides do it. They've been punished because it's 'Australia', the political interference and because they're stupid hypocrites.

Excluding India now.

Seems a bit harsh overall, they've effectively committed an act on a similar level as diving to win a penalty. All sides do it. They've been punished because it's 'Australia', the political interference and because they're stupid hypocrites.

Nonsense. 

They've been punished because they've tried to cheat.

It's actually quite amazing that they have been punished, I'll grant, as the BCCI and CA are basically cricket's FIFA in terms of moral rectitude.

And regardless of "all sides do it",  I fucking applaud the decision.

Millionaires taking the piss, in the case of the leadership group, brought to account.

It's all very very fair and commensurate in my book.

As an aside, and curious, do you think India, if they'd have done it, would have escaped as harsh a sanction?

All this said, I could be hysterically fannying wrong, I'm happy to admit.

• Upvote 2

I think the punishments for the players are about right, I’d have probably given Bancroft 6 months instead of 9 though.

What I don’t understand is Lehmann getting away scot free. Even if he wasn’t in on it (which I don’t believe) once he was aware the players were cheat g he tried to help them avoid getting caught.

He should have walked if he had any decency and if he refused Ca should have sacked him immediately.

I’m not surprised the racist didn’t show any class.

I think the punishments for the players are about right, I’d have probably given Bancroft 6 months instead of 9 though.

What I don’t understand is Lehmann getting away scot free. Even if he wasn’t in on it (which I don’t believe) once he was aware the players were cheat g he tried to help them avoid getting caught.

He should have walked if he had any decency and if he refused Ca should have sacked him immediately.

I’m not surprised the racist didn’t show any class.

Bancroft should have received a serious reprimand, not more.

Why?  Because in any workplace, and he still could pursue it if he felt I think, he could have more than reasonably claimed bullying/coercion/following orders though fear etc.

I'd rather he'd have told every one of the reprehensible cunts to fuck off, but I can accept perhaps why he didn't.

The others, good riddance.

The Lehmann non-sanction?  Scandalous.  A throwback to the old ACB "us and them" days... that spawned World Series Cricket.

Mind you, it fits in with Ian Chappell's convenient view of the influence of a cricket coach:  "In cricket, the only coach is the vehicle you all get on to... to drive you to the ground."