You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Yeah, you can, mate... first morning of an MCG Boxing Day Test is a one-off.

Precisely because you're bloated and hazy from Christmas Day, and the answer is to just enjoy and keep going.

Forget the state of the series, eat, drink and stay merry.

I know mate but it just means nothing.

*sigh*

I'm not sure what to make of this Series, probably because I can't get over how bad - most mentally - England appear to be.

The England side we played 4 years ago was much better, and had just beaten us 3-0.

This England team really has been a massive disappointment. And I can't help but think discord, or indiscipline, or something - other than just talent - is part of it.

Because, other than OK bowlers and Steve Smith, Australia is just so-so.

I agree with that about discord and indiscipline completely. This isn't a great England side, but they're not nearly as bad as the three results look (and almost certainly the two results yet to come). You can see in individual performances or partnerships or periods of play that there's enough talent in the XI to give a decent account of themselves and leave a bit of pride out there. Not to win the series, no, but to avoid national humiliation -- yeah!

The sessions where everything just falls apart have been, for me, principally mental failures. This team is technically okay but psychologically too weak to reverse a situation when things start to go badly. There will always be times in a Test match when you're pushed up against the wall, and when that happens we're completely hopeless. Great teams know how to stabilize a bad situation and force their way back into a game.

I agree with Ricky Ponting the other day that Root doesn't look much like a captain right now. He's new at the job, and obviously a great batsman, but so far the psychological leadership and stubbornness and strength isn't there. That's far from the only problem, but with so many players drifting there's a lot of responsibility on a captain to stand up and show the way when things are going badly.

I think of Strauss going for a duck on the first day of the 2010/11 series at the Gabba, the Aussies getting a 220 lead first innings, then the captain came out and made a second-innings hundred in a huge partnership with Cook as part of that 507/1 declared to draw the match. That partnership showed psychological stubbornness and courage as well as technical skill in spades to rescue us from defeat, and possibly changed the whole direction of the series. We're not that much worse technically now, but psychologically we're a shadow of the side we took down there seven years ago. In the same position today we'd have been all out for 200 and given them an innings victory to start the series off instead of a demoralizing draw from a winning position.

• Upvote 2

I agree with that about discord and indiscipline completely. This isn't a great England side, but they're not nearly as bad as the three results look (and almost certainly the two results yet to come). You can see in individual performances or partnerships or periods of play that there's enough talent in the XI to give a decent account of themselves and leave a bit of pride out there. Not to win the series, no, but to avoid national humiliation -- yeah!

The sessions where everything just falls apart have been, for me, principally mental failures. This team is technically okay but psychologically too weak to reverse a situation when things start to go badly. There will always be times in a Test match when you're pushed up against the wall, and when that happens we're completely hopeless. Great teams know how to stabilize a bad situation and force their way back into a game.

I agree with Ricky Ponting the other day that Root doesn't look much like a captain right now. He's new at the job, and obviously a great batsman, but so far the psychological leadership and stubbornness and strength isn't there. That's far from the only problem, but with so many players drifting there's a lot of responsibility on a captain to stand up and show the way when things are going badly.

I think of Strauss going for a duck on the first day of the 2010/11 series at the Gabba, the Aussies getting a 220 lead first innings, then the captain came out and made a second-innings hundred in a huge partnership with Cook as part of that 507/1 declared to draw the match. That partnership showed psychological stubbornness and courage as well as technical skill in spades to rescue us from defeat, and possibly changed the whole direction of the series. We're not that much worse technically now, but psychologically we're a shadow of the side we took down there seven years ago. In the same position today we'd have been all out for 200 and given them an innings victory to start the series off instead of a demoralizing draw from a winning position.

Rep when I've got green again.

I wonder if, perhaps, Bairstow should make a better captain, freeing up Root to just bat.

Won't spoil your watching of it (not that I could, it's a great watch. Although I could watch these two talk for hours) but Brearley's "I could never vote Tory, but I also can't stand the Guardian clique" - or words to that effect was ace. What a guy.

Never knew of his political views, my ol fella has been badgering me to read his Captaincy book for years.

Might give it a go when I've a few days off for my birthday. 

Three best cricket books I've read - all autobiographies -

Brearley

Atherton

Stephen Fleming.

All intelligent, good captains.

Will have to invest in these

Best cricketer’s autobiography I’ve read is Thorpe’s. Great insight in how he battled depression and easily my favourite batsman growing up

Trescothick Is another that comes to mind

• Upvote 1

Great day here. Starc out is a bit of a blow, but with the series won and South Africa away early next year, he needs to be ready for that one.

Steyn and AB back for that one adds considerably to the series too. Can't wait.