You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Yeah, nobody's keeping that out, ridiculous ball.

Root not at the same level as Smith and Kohli right now (though Kohli has a career-defining tour of England next year.)

18 months or so ago I’d have said there’s a bracket of four who could claim to be the best in the world: Smith, Root, Kohli and Williamson. Smith and Kohli have definitely surged ahead since then and are way out in front - not that Root and Williamson are bad, just that the other two are playing a different game now on a regular basis. Astonishing players.

Steve Smith still has the stupidest face I’ve ever seen, mind, so there.

Malan and Overton have been the only two real positives, for me. Liked the look of both of them. They've clearly given a shit, which sets them apart from some of these. Stoneman has been "okay", I guess. Hopefully we have ended the experiment of having our best batsman at number seven. The rest of the senior players have been absolutely shite. Anderson's stats will look okay, although they'll be flattered by, for example, the wickets he took with the ball when Aussies was pushing on from 550 to 650 quickly. Cook, Root, Ali, and Broad have been a fucking embarrassment.

18 months or so ago I’d have said there’s a bracket of four who could claim to be the best in the world: Smith, Root, Kohli and Williamson. Smith and Kohli have definitely surged ahead since then and are way out in front - not that Root and Williamson are bad, just that the other two are playing a different game now on a regular basis. Astonishing players.

Steve Smith still has the stupidest face I’ve ever seen, mind, so there.

I don't rate much about him except his batting which is on a silly level.

His sublime batting and the quality of bowlers at his disposal means his captaincy gets overlooked a bit, but it's not all that. His DRS use is terrible too.

And the face...only Williamson of those mentioned doesn't have a face you'd call punchable haha

Malan and Overton have been the only two real positives, for me. Stoneman has been "okay", I guess. That and hopefully the end of the experiment of having our best batsman at number seven. The rest of the senior players have been absolutely shite. Anderson's stats will look okay, although they'll be flattered by, for example, the wickets he took with the ball when Aussies was pushing on from 550 to 650 quickly. Cook, Root, Ali, and Broad have been a fucking embarrassment.

Bairstow has been ok. He comes across well in the doco I've mentioned a few times.

Add the backdrop of the personal tragedy earlier in his life and I respect the guy a hell of a lot more now.

Guest Pistonbroke

Which other players have we got on the tour?

If (no laughing at the back)...when we go 3-0 down, I'd drop Cook and Broad for the next two tests.

Players we could bring in to the starting 11. Ballance, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Jake Ball (who played and looked shit in that first test) and Tom Curran. More like a list of players you wouldn't take on an Ashes tour. 

Players we could bring in to the starting 11. Ballance, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Jake Ball (who played and looked shit in that first test) and Tom Curran. More like a list of players you wouldn't take on an Ashes tour. 

Fucking hell. 

I have no desire to see Ballance play for the team ever again. I know fuck all about Crane and Foakes. Happily see Curran have a couple of games for Broad. Although he isn't really the type of bowler we need.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fucking hell. 

I have no desire to see Ballance play for the team ever again. I know fuck all about Crane and Foakes. Happily see Curran have a couple of games for Broad. Although he isn't really the type of bowler we need.

Not a lot to pick from, especially batting wise, Ballance and a WK/batsman.