You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Watched the last sesion and it was enjoyable stuff , with England getting back into the game. India are on top and Kohli has obviously spoken to the groundsman , but England are a lot more rugged these days.

England did well to stick in there and bowled well but can’t see anything other than an Indian win especially the way the pitch behaved on day one.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Watched it from about 100/3. Thought England bowled well and were a bit unlucky.

They have no chance from this point though; needed to bowl them out for about 250 to have a chance batting last on that pitch.

That DRS debacle was dodgy as fuck.

We can all hear the 3rd umpire speaking to the on field, my question would be are the on field able to speak to the third umpire ?

The fact England later got the review back makes me think the on field did not contact the third umpire, in which case I blame the on field and not the third. 

Root was obviously telling the on field what England wanted, so he either couldn't or wouldn't pass the message on. 

The England team should have just refused, in a polite way, to restart because the DRS check was not complete. Eventually the message would have been passed up stairs.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Obviously the groundsmen will be instructed to work in the home teams favour , but this is like a bomb site.

Yep, dodgy as fuck this pitch. There were huge rough patches before the game even started.

I know that home teams will prepare a pitch that suits their team but this one took the piss.

The game was over once the toss was done. Not good for cricket that.

33 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This pitch is like the start of Saving Private Ryan, explosions everywhere.  Would have been easier to just award the game on the toss and save everyone’s legs 

To be fair they just have just had four tosses over Zoom and saved the money on flights and accommodation 

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I thought there was talk a while ago of just awarding the toss to the away team to try and avoid these sorts of situations. I take it that never got anywhere?

Think it happens in domestic cricket but that is pretty pointless as nobody even watches it anyway.

32 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'll never understand why Foakes was dropped. He's a great 'keeper, and has a higher average than his potential replacements. Very odd.

Hasn’t he only played in Asia? I think he’s clearly a very good player of spin but the question marks around his technique are when the ball moves laterally.

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hasn’t he only played in Asia? I think he’s clearly a very good player of spin but the question marks around his technique are when the ball moves laterally.

Just checked as I could have sworn he'd had a home series too, but you're mostly right, one series each against Sri Lanka and West Indies- https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/364788.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround;view=match

Looking at his bio, he was replaced by Bairstow (thought it was Buttler), and when Bairstow went to complete shit, Foakes was suffering through a poor county campaign.