You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

300 is normally plenty at Newlands.

Just scanning through the last few matches there and it varies quite a bit. They have got around 400 a few times and the last time we played there it was 629 vs 627.

Feels like they need 400 to be competitive.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Does he have another?

Yeah, he's often curtailed his natural game and tried to play "properly" yet got out for single figures or low teens.

He's actually one who I don't mind coming in and playing this way, it's his game, he's a number 7. It's not his fault he keeps coming out with us in a precarious position.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yeah, he's often curtailed his natural game and tried to play "properly" yet got out for single figures or low teens.

He's actually one who I don't mind coming in and playing this way, it's his game, he's a number 7. It's not his fault he keeps coming out with us in a precarious position.

Agreed. The problem is the players above him that are number 7s.

Guest Pistonbroke

In general SA bowled well today but on a decent strip for batting England were woeful with the bat. Ollie Pope carrying on his good form though and looks like he could become a very good batsman at Test level. 

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

Haha I just burst out laughing at Broad's dismissal there. I've never seen anything like that.

Actually cringed.

We should just get a doctor's note stating he is allergic to willow and is unable to bat in any subsequent tests, to avoid embarrassment.

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

Just scanning through the last few matches there and it varies quite a bit. They have got around 400 a few times and the last time we played there it was 629 vs 627.

Feels like they need 400 to be competitive.

We'll find out sooner than England would have liked, later today.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

We'll find out sooner that England would have liked, later today.

Aye we sure will mate, i’m pretty confident that their score is below par. Their one saving grace is that the South Africans have been struggling with the bat as well.

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Aye we sure will mate, i’m pretty confident that their score is below par. Their one saving grace is that the South Africans have been struggling with the bat as well.

I agree it's a below par opening total - but I don't trust SA with the bat any more than Eng... 

As the old saying goes, you can only really judge the state of the pitch/play after both sides have batted once.