You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

Bummed again, quite an embarrassing second innings all round apart from a few desperate knocks at the end by Archer and Curran. Not sure Joe Root chose the right words. 

Joe Root:

"The key is not to look too deeply into it. Trying to bat longer will not happen overnight. It's a mindset thing - we have to learn from mistakes like this game and move on quicky. If we can do that, we will improve rapidly.

"The first innings was a big missed opportunity. They had a guy go get a double hundred and another support with a hundred. We have to do what we did well for longer."

"I can't fault the effort levels. We were trying to create pressure by bowling maidens when there wasn't much in the surface. There were a few half chances that slipped away from us.

"We have to give credit to the oppositon who played very well on this surface.

"It's important to see how the bowlers pull up as there has been a big workload."

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

When you get skittled for fewer than 200 and the opposition get 600, including their number 8 getting 126, don't mention the pitch. Just don't. It's embarrassing.

Or indeed the effort levels, what fucking effort? 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Oh, I don't know, mate. Pope's dismissal required quite a lot of effort to reach the fucking ball.

Yeah, that was all kinds of stupid. 

Short turnaround to the second test, starts this Thursday. Then they are off to South Africa for a 4 test match series. Things could get very painful in Roots final days. I can't see him surviving. 

Guest Pistonbroke
26 minutes ago, skaro said:

That's for sure, Joe... it's batting longer during the day - not overnight - that wants doing.

Thing with Root's captaincy is not just the poor results but how they have come about. He's the worst Test captain we've had for quite some time. His own batting has gone to shit in Test Cricket to boot. 

More bullshit from Root: Contradicting himself by saying in that other post he can't fault the effort but then basically points towards young Archer in an attempt to justify his bowling choices. Comes over as a shit move. 

"There were a few soft dismissals [Root raises his hand].

"It can be quite difficult - you get yourself in a mood to defend and then you end up playing a half-hearted shot. I gave that ball far too much respect, it should have gone for four or six over point.

On whether England were too passive on day five: "We tried to get partnerships and not go too far away from what comes naturally. We knew that going past their score was a way of extending the match in trying to save it.

"But we tried to get accustomed to conditions and then play our game and we didn't do that enough."

"We were looking at ways to get something out of this surface and felt Sam Curran was more likely than Jofra Archer at that time.

"This has been a frustrating Test for Archer. He's a hugely exciting talent and he has a huge amount of skill but he has to learn that there are certain spells where he needs to ramp it up more. He may have to bowl shorter spells. The energy and effort have to be there all the time.

"We were completely outplayed, let ourselves down, and I take responsibility because I hardly led from the front."

Thanks for your honesty, Joe... refreshing to hear.  

Hopefully the team rallies around this honesty and responsibility and we see a much improved performance next.

If only.

Those comments on Jofra Archer are crap and enlightening at the same time - just shows his confused approach to captaincy that's neither one approach or another. Saying he needs to bowl shorter spells to keep the energy up - well you're the captain, you give him the spells to bowl so...? I appreciate the other bowlers weren't really doing it either but he needs to make his mind up about whether Jofra Archer is the enforcer England always thought he'd be (in which case give the poor fucker a breather every 4 overs or so) or use him as another fast-medium bowler delivering the fast-medium bowling plans in 8-10 over spells (which is what he's doing at the moment so don't criticise him for it).

He's not cut out for it, I think we all know it and I think he knows it, but I really don't see who else does it. The senior players don't have the temperament for it, the established players haven't captained before and the new players who have aren't established enough.

Guest Pistonbroke

Things going pear shaped for England and our illustrious captain Joe in the second test. Won the toss yesterday and put NZ in to bat, rain affected day which went NZ's way, currently 253/5. England just seem void of any passion, desire or any sort of plan. 

Guest Pistonbroke
57 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Ended up getting 375, we're 39-2 in reply. Sibley and Denly gone.

England kind of pulled things back after I shuffled off to bed, although having been put into bat I'm sure the Kiwi's will be happy with 375, especially when they got those 2 late wickets. 

Guest Pistonbroke
19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Looks like Warner released some pent up tension, 335 not out

That labuschagne got 162, yet another century from the lad. Pakistan are woeful. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Excellent partnership between Burns and Root. Burns with a century on 100 no and Root on 77 no. Eng also 200/2. Mind you, the current R/R and deficit means even if England force a lead they probably won't be enough time left to force a victory. Still 175 runs behind and nearing tea on day 3. 

And Burns run out after making 101, Root called for the second run but Burns was always going to struggle having ran the first run slower than Root, should have shouted fuck off I'm knackered........collapse incoming?

Guest Pistonbroke

Root said he was proud in the way they learnt lessons and came back to bat well in the second test. eh...the pitch was dead, I'm not sure anything can be gleamed from that batting performance. I'm not looking forward to the tour of SA.