You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Didn't even know the first test had started. Looks a solid, stolid innings from England so far, 241-4 after the first day, with only Root outright failing. I wonder if this will be the series Denly really flourishes, he scored 74 yesterday and was also starting to look decent towards the end of the Ashes.

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Didn't even know the first test had started. Looks a solid, stolid innings from England so far, 241-4 after the first day, with only Root outright failing. I wonder if this will be the series Denly really flourishes, he scored 74 yesterday and was also starting to look decent towards the end of the Ashes.

Let's hope so - that troublesome number 3 position could do with being sorted. It might help Root, as well, because he seems to always come in when there's a batting crisis and the ball is still new.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Only watched it to Lunch then went to bed (sounds weird saying that). It was a good toss to win as it looks a very good batting wicket. Burns made a dodgy start but settled down, Sibley kind of stuck about to see off the new ball then was disappointingly out after doing all the hard work. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Turned into a struggle for our bowlers, probably heading for a draw now. Although never write off the chances of a second innings collapse from us. 

Guest Pistonbroke
13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Fucking hell, we had them 127-4.

55 overs from our opening bowlers without a wicket.

At the start of play last night Root had Broad and Curran trundling in at medium pace despite the Kiwi's being over 200 runs behind, he just let the batsmen settle in before turning to Archer and Stokes. This after Nicholls was hit by a short ball the night before and instead of putting him under pressure he gave him a chance to build. It was just yet another example of his poor captaincy. 

9 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

At the start of play last night Root had Broad and Curran trundling in at medium pace despite the Kiwi's being over 200 runs behind, he just let the batsmen settle in before turning to Archer and Stokes. This after Nicholls was hit by a short ball the night before and instead of putting him under pressure he gave him a chance to build. It was just yet another example of his poor captaincy. 

He's under zero pressure, sadly.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He's under zero pressure, sadly.

Maybe's. It doesn't bode well, as out of the current bunch you don't see anyone capable of replacing him. He also had one fucking slip in place, over 200 runs ahead and he bowls medium pace to a field containing one slip fielder! Some of the players/pundits were saying the pitch was looking a day older than it is, so don't write off a tricky few sessions for England tomorrow when they get to bat again. Think I made the right choice only to watch it to lunch time before going to bed. 

Guest Pistonbroke

In other news, I see Australia are thrashing Pakistan. That Labuschangne with another century. Pakistan bowler Yasir got 4 for 205 making him the only test bowler to go for over 200 runs in 3 tests. India also thrashing Bangladesh. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

261 for the 7th wicket.

Fucking hell.

Their middle oder put on 380 runs for the loss of 1 wicket until that 7th wicket went down. We have to bat all of day 5 now just to scramble a draw with only 7 wickets left. Something tells me we'll struggle a bit with that. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Root is from the ‘ do what the opposition most want ‘ school of captaincy.

He's definitely a 'My Way' kind of guy. I doubt he listens to his senior players or bowlers that much. Probably watches a shit load of data on a laptop and mostly adheres to the coaches instructions regardless of what is actually happening on field. I think it is quite clear that his stint as Captain has been somewhat of a failure, great player in his own right mind. Let him stick to his batting and find a leader, it doesn't have to come from the current crop playing, not like the majority of them have cemented their places in the Test Team.