You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He's fucking awful. Doesn't have either the tactical or motivational skills at all.

He's not been good, clueless at times and has relied on individual performances to get out of jail. His batting has also suffered as a result. Who would you give it too? 

I'd give it to Broad personally. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Chris said:

274-6 with Smith gone and, for the briefest of moments, it was game on. 349-5, everyone's head down and the chances of winning the game already look gone. Depressing.

Paine was also dropped early in his innings, we could have had them all out for under 300 at one stage. 

If Smith had better batsmen around him he'd probably break Lara's highest Test Score record in the current form he is in. 

I'm as optimistic as they come, but this really is depressing, especially after all the pre- match talk and the highs of Headingley. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Spy Bee said:

How do you give away all the momentum we had after Headingly?

It looks like a draw is all we can hope for already.

The sad thing is we also got 2 early wickets yesterday, then the weather kicked in and they were more arsed about cold hands than putting their backs into it. 

Root clapping his hands like a schoolboy is starting to get on my tits. 

7 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

He's not been good, clueless at times and has relied on individual performances to get out of jail. His batting has also suffered as a result. Who would you give it too? 

I'd give it to Broad personally. 

None of this lot. Broad would be more of the same, I don't think he's got it tactically. I also think he's bowling the best he possibly ever has and, with Anderson almost certainly done, he has added pressure already. The last thing we'd want to do is give our only consistent bowler something else to think about.

Nah, my personal choice would be someone from county cricket. I don't care if they average 30 with the bat (fuck having bowlers, they're too thick), I just want someone intelligent and capable of adapting to the changing situations of a test match.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Chris said:

They've been so low energy. Joe Root is an awful captain.

After getting two early wickets yesterday he brought leach into the attack early and had one fucking slip in place! 

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Nah, my personal choice would be someone from county cricket. I don't care if they average 30 with the bat (fuck having bowlers, they're too thick), I just want someone intelligent and capable of adapting to the changing situations of a test match.

Eoin Morgan? :D

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

None of this lot. Broad would be more of the same, I don't think he's got it tactically. I also think he's bowling the best he possibly ever has and, with Anderson almost certainly done, he has added pressure already. The last thing we'd want to do is give our only consistent bowler something else to think about.

That isn't likely to happen though. Out of the current bunch I can only think of Broad, which isn't out of choice as such, but necessity. I wouldn't give it to Stokes as he has enough on his plate. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

That isn't likely to happen though. Out of the current bunch I can only think of Broad, which isn't out of choice as such, but necessity. I wouldn't give it to Stokes as he has enough on his plate. 

Oh, I know. There is 0% chance of it happening.

No idea out of this lot. No idea at all.

Guest Pistonbroke

I wouldn't be surprised that the ECB asked Bairstow or Stokes...if Root does stand down, as I can't see the ECB sacking Root. Easier scapegoats to be had. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I can't remember who touched on the point regarding Archer, think it was nasser with pointing agreeing. It does look like Root is trying to tell Archer what to do rather than listening to Archer and how he wants to bowl and to what fields. 

15 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The forecast for tomorrow is uncertain, none of the different apps/resources can agree on it.

The one I use actually looks alright.

BBC has been very accurate of late. That's saying that it's pissing it down til 1pm and sketchy afterwards!