You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

It would appear Joe Root is not too convinced about the selectors picking Craig Overton.

I was just thinking that, 90 minutes into the first session and he still hasn't turned to him. Mind you, he underuses certain bowlers a lot. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I was just thinking that, 90 minutes into the first session and he still hasn't turned to him. Mind you, he underuses certain bowlers a lot. 

Woakes would have definitely had a bowl by now I’d have thought.

Leach is looking quite decent now after a shit first over.

Could do with at least one of these two before lunch.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jose Jones said:

Woakes would have definitely had a bowl by now I’d have thought.

Leach is looking quite decent now after a shit first over.

Could do with at least one of these two before lunch.

Yeah....second slip in for Leach would have just brought one. Root really is a poor captain. I reckon he just reads books and follows the plan they explain. The Run Rate is telling, definitely a good pitch for batting on. I get playing a spinner early doors against these two, don#t let them enjoy the same pace from both ends, you need to back your bowler though and give him slightly more attacking fields. 

Overton into the attack now. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Could have done with winning the toss. I know these two are batting well, but I wouldn't say they have looked totally comfortable. Missed pull shot, a few missed strokes and an LBW which was just clipping but was due to Smith misreading the ball. A genuine edge that would have gone to a second slip if Root had the balls to carry on being attack minded. It goes without saying that we need to get one of these out sooner rather than later, but it looks a very good wicket to bat on. One wicket can change things dramatically though, and with 94 on the scoreboard I'm not going to flap just yet. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

This Labuschagne is a find, he and Smith are a potential series winning combination 

Aussies lucked out bringing him in, purely down to Smith's injury. 

Guest Pistonbroke

98/2 at Lunch. Aussies morning due to runs on board, England have bowled well but not brilliantly. Leach was good after his shit start. Could do with a quick wicket after lunch. 

34 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah....second slip in for Leach would have just brought one. Root really is a poor captain. I reckon he just reads books and follows the plan they explain. The Run Rate is telling, definitely a good pitch for batting on. I get playing a spinner early doors against these two, don#t let them enjoy the same pace from both ends, you need to back your bowler though and give him slightly more attacking fields. 

Overton into the attack now. 

You really are the most clueless fucker ever to have watched the game.  It’s truly hilarious reading your drivel.  Those army coaches must have been something.  

It’s the most obvious observation followed by shite opinions. 

7 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The South African lad has done well, but he’s not looked too impregnable and Smith also hasn’t looked quite on top of his game either. So there’s hope there for England they could knock them both over.

Still, Australia will be the happier of the two sides.

Yes, on the evidence of his efforts in the series so far, the South African lad almost deserves to make a hundred for Australia.

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You really are the most clueless fucker ever to have watched the game.  It’s truly hilarious reading your drivel.  Those army coaches must have been something.  

What are you talking about?  He's offering an opinion.

On that basis. what's the justification of your argumentum ad hominem?

The Army?  WTF?

What are your superior cricket-watching credentials vs Piston's?  The Gentlemen vs The Players?

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

The Army?  WTF?

What are your superior cricket-watching credentials vs Piston's?  The Gentlemen vs The Players?

It’s complete drivel, complete and utter drivel.  

The army reference was last week when he was offering his expert opinion on leaving bouncers due to the coaching he had in the army.  Which I suspect was someone telling him duck.   Because facing some trundler from the Signals is just like facing Archer at 96 mph.  

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

Yes, it's an interesting nuance to bring into a conversation about a Test cricketer's career - where his parents took him to live when he was 10.

Yes, he basically had the same situation as Stokes (I think I remember reading he was 11 or 12 when he moved here). 

Archer on the other hand played for West Indies U'19s...

We are slightly devoid of legs to remain upright.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s complete drivel, complete and utter drivel.  

The army reference was last week when he was offering his expert opinion on leaving bouncers due to the coaching he had in the army.  Which I suspect was someone telling him duck.   Because facing some trundler from the Signals is just like facing Archer at 96 mph.  

My overriding question is, though, what is the basis for your belittling his opinion?  The Army reference?

You might have opened the batting with John Major in a charity match, with Maggie standing at square leg. Comme si comme ça.

Piston's just an armchair critic like the rest of us.  

Why get uptight?

Guest Pistonbroke
30 minutes ago, skaro said:

The Army?  WTF?

Just let him ramble on, J. He just looks for arguments on any given subject and gets in a huff when people don#t rise to the bait. He's one sad individual.