You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The stats will never prove much, for me. The sample size is always far too small.

Strauss was a marginally better captain than Cook.

The truth is though that most captains for the last 15 years or so have just been relaying information from a computer. Hence looking utterly clueless when things don't go to plan. 

The problem we have is as soon as you’re called up to the National side you virtually stop playing county cricket. 

We’ve no one near the side that’s Captained a county so they end up learning on the job. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The stats will never prove much, for me. The sample size is always far too small.

Strauss was a marginally better captain than Cook.

The truth is though that most captains for the last 15 years or so have just been relaying information from a computer. Hence looking utterly clueless when things don't go to plan. 

I think it is fair to compare the stats between Strauss and Cook though, Strauss captained for 50 tests, cook about 60. They are misleading at times as Root's captaincy has proven, he has a better record than the two I have mentioned so far, having won half of his tests and only lost 3 or 4. I agree that Strauss was slightly better than Cook. I'd rip your arm off to have either of them at the helm now and in their pomp. Even nasser was better than Root. 

Guest Pistonbroke

You'd definitely want to bat first on this pitch, not a great toss to lose. Having said that, if the Aussies are still mentally fucked after Headingley and we take an early wicket then anything could happen. 

21 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

You'd definitely want to bat first on this pitch, not a great toss to lose. Having said that, if the Aussies are still mentally fucked after Headingley and we take an early wicket then anything could happen. 

Here's hoping....

dwC_7OFV_normal.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

With most eyes on Archer it wouldn't surprise me at all if Broad steals the show. 

Got to be honest I think he's been brilliant this series it was only a couple of years ago I was thinking should they get shut as he seemed to be constantly bowling too short....

Still think he should bat number 11 mind

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Got to be honest I think he's been brilliant this series it was only a couple of years ago I was thinking should they get shut as he seemed to be constantly bowling too short....

Still think he should bat number 11 mind

He's stepped up to the plate in Anderson's absence. Young Archer also, he doesn't give many runs away so builds up the pressure where other bowlers might benefit. The good thing with Archer is that for a young lad he seems to have a huge box of tricks and knows what he is doing on each given wicket. 

I have to take the mut for her midday walkies, hopefully whilst checking live score we take a few wickets.