You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

47 minutes ago, an tha said:

Staggering innings from Stokes - the way he dug in and was so disciplined for so long and so watchful, how he fought when scoring was so difficult - then to switch gears in that last hour and play like a one day run chase and to do so with such intelligence too was just amazing.

He was plum on that LBW mind near the end!! Lucky to escape that with them having used reviews....but sometimes you make your own luck and he deserved what he got.

Best innings I’ve ever seen, I was a kid when Botham did Headingley but I do remember it well, Stokes better for me

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Unfortunately I missed watching any of today's play via a stream as I had a house full of guests celebrating my 55th which was on Monday. I was feverishly following things via the live score on the BBC and after a slow start but runs being scored I was checking more often. When the wickets started falling I honestly thought we had fucked it, but Stokes just kept going and the target was going down, eventually in large chunks as Stokes was just going for it. I was absolutely in bits following it as we got closer and closer to pulling off what seemed the impossible. Fucj knows what it was like watching it, must have been murder.

I had a great day and got some fantastic presents. Honestly though, the best present of all was Stokes innings and checking the livescore for that last time to see 'England win by 1 wicket.' I'm going to get minging now as I search for streams for highlights etc.

The Ashes is back on. Take a bow Ben Stokes, a true legend and has a nice habit of being the hero. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Unfortunately I missed watching any of today's play via a stream as I had a house full of guests celebrating my 55th which was on Monday. I was feverishly following things via the live score on the BBC and after a slow start but runs being scored I was checking more often. When the wickets started falling I honestly thought we had fucked it, but Stokes just kept going and the target was going down, eventually in large chunks as Stokes was just going for it. I was absolutely in bits following it as we got closer and closer to pulling off what seemed the impossible. Fucj knows what it was like watching it, must have been murder.

I had a great day and got some fantastic presents. Honestly though, the best present of all was Stokes innings and checking the livescore for that last time to see 'England win by 1 wicket.' I'm going to get minging now as I search for streams for highlights etc.

The Ashes is back on. Take a bow Ben Stokes, a true legend and has a nice habit of being the hero. 

Highlights on channel 5 now. I am sure you can vpn it.

Guest Pistonbroke
14 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Highlights on channel 5 now. I am sure you can vpn it.

Thanks to you, Sir, I'm on it. I'll get to relive the final moments and all the controversy. Mind you, 5 minutes of ads then a fucking competition add. 

Had to listen to the last 30 minutes in the car on TMS with the mobile stuck to my ear & the Mrs nearly crashing the car every time I bellowed at a boundary.

Funniest comment on BBC was that Stokes' performance was made even more extraordinary by being made to score the last 70 runs with Alan from Accounts at the other end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Had to listen to the last 30 minutes in the car on TMS with the mobile stuck to my ear & the Mrs nearly crashing the car every time I bellowed at a boundary.

Funniest comment on BBC was that Stokes' performance was made even more extraordinary by being made to score the last 70 runs with Alan from Accounts at the other end.

Alan from accounts played a fucking blinder

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not sure those highlights gave justice to the game, but fuck me they were good. Stokes rode his luck but single handedly pulled off one of the greatest innings ever to win a Test match. The pressure must have been immense for all the players, Aussies fluffed things a few times but Stokes kept his head. That spunked review will haunt the Aussies for ages, especially if they don't go on to retain the Ashes. I also had a little giggle when Lyon fucked up that run out and the camera panned on to Warner at the end. Loved how Leach just stuck about and scored the most important 1 NO in his career. 

Ironically I don't think Stokes does that without the shorter game coming in to play. I still think it is spoiling the Test game, but hey ho. Stokes has to be SPOTY winner this year. Won the WC with his innings. Saved the Ashes with what could easily go down as the best innings ever. Don't be surprised if he's involved with us actually winning them. I don't care what the Aussies say after this, it will be extremely hard for them to come back and England have just wrestled the whole momentum away from them. 

Surely Stokes deserves to be honoured for his heroics this Summer, people get on that list for far less. 

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I was only able to catch the last 15 minutes. Unbelievable stuff. What a rollercoaster three days @Brownie must have had there. 

I’m chuffed that the series is still alive because the 4th and 5th tests are the only ones I’ll be able to watch from beginning to end should I so wish. 

It was alright mate.

266B7AA4-9331-43F3-970E-CCDACECE797F.jpeg

• Upvote 7

I thought I'd seen everything in cricket after the World Cup final but today was something else. What an innings by Stokes. Probably the greatest test innings by an English batsmen of all time. Just incredible.

What an end to the test match as well. Missed run out, and not out decision that a review would have overturned had they not wasted it earlier on an obvious not out.

I thought we were on for an all out before lunch when Root stupidly gave his wicket away. Bairstow gave the innings impetuous and after that it was all Stokes. Just shows that giving yourself time & playing yourself in often reaps huge rewards. Obviously this was a crazy, mental innings but he did the hard work last night & first thing this morning.

37 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

That Ben Stokes innings is genuinely one of the greatest sporting performances of all time. I’m still absolutely buzzing now. 

He was deffo out LB too. That was a dreadful decision by the umpire. 

Made up for Brownie too, the weatherman twat. 

We having a bevvie at Old Trafford or what you fucking fridge?!

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Best innings I’ve ever seen, I was a kid when Botham did Headingley but I do remember it well, Stokes better for me

Yeah i remember that innings too - great as it was i make this one today better - simply because this was chasing a must get total, and a huge on at that and he nursed a number 11 for loads of it whilst smashing the ball all around the ground.

Simply stunning.

3 hours ago, TheBitch said:

That Ben Stokes innings is genuinely one of the greatest sporting performances of all time. I’m still absolutely buzzing now. 

He was deffo out LB too. That was a dreadful decision by the umpire. 

Made up for Brownie too, the weatherman twat. 

That's my only qualm. 

Games being decided by reviews or non-reviews - it's become a vital skill of the game, appealing to a fucking computer - because an umpire can no longer give a straightforward decision.

The spinner is straightening the ball against the left handed bat, every single ball, and the umpire can't make the right call when it's pitching middle and leg and hitting him on or behind the crease?  

It happened a few times at Lords too.

That said, it would have been a shame for a worthy contender for best innings of all time to have fallen short of victory.

Stokes was brilliant and braver than Australia, who crumbled and only have themselves to blame.

They could and should have won it without VAR.

Well played, Stokes, England. 

The best man won.

• Upvote 6