You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ive got a feeling ..... 

Ooo'er

Something special was in the air. That special thing was Ben Stokes. Written himself into history. Unbelievable. I was too nervous to post on here once it became possible because twice I lost us a batsman (Buttler and Archer) by digging them up. 

I need to stop crying at stuff. 

• Upvote 1

What an extraordinary effort to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Apart from Stokes' brilliant century, all it took was a bit more care and patience with the bat. There were still wickets given away cheaply and they rode their luck at times, but on the whole there was far more discipline with the bat. They should be doing that anyway rather than because circumstances dictate it. Those with Day 4 tickets have just witnessed something that doesn't happen very often.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Fair play to Paine giving a balanced interview, he must feel like throwing up

Not seen the interview but I thought the same as soon as the game finished that he looked genuinely appreciative of Stokes innings as being a great one. 

40 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Only shame is like in 2005 it's not in terrestrial TV .

That Sunday morning at Edgaston was fantastic drama. Harmison's bouncer to Kasprowicz in a desperate attempt to avoid going 2-0 down is one of the great Ashes moments.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Not seen the interview but I thought the same as soon as the game finished that he looked genuinely appreciative of Stokes innings as being a great one. 

No further proof required that he isn't fit to be captain of Australia. Border, Waugh, or Taylor would have locked the dressing room door until they'd got their pint of blood.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No further proof required that he isn't fit to be captain of Australia. Border, Waugh, or Taylor would have locked the dressing room door until they'd got their pint of blood.

I don't think Ponting thought it would happen at all listening to his commentary. Even at 8 he threw a "thats lost Australia the test match" was a sarcastic dig at Gower. 

Warne was excellent in his post match analysis. 

Staggering innings from Stokes - the way he dug in and was so disciplined for so long and so watchful, how he fought when scoring was so difficult - then to switch gears in that last hour and play like a one day run chase and to do so with such intelligence too was just amazing.

He was plum on that LBW mind near the end!! Lucky to escape that with them having used reviews....but sometimes you make your own luck and he deserved what he got.