You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

If we can force a win at Headingley it sets up a cracking 4th test at Old Trafford and a 5th at the Oval if it is still 1-1 or 2-1 to us. Long way off though. The Aussies know a win at Headingley will secure the Ashes. 

Guest Pistonbroke

The thing is, he's been shit in two tests and it was kind of an experiment. It could have paid off, but it certainly hasn't. Pick a proper opener and move on. Roy could still be used further down the order, because apart from Stokes none of that middle order should feel comfortable about their place. We should definitely move Root back to batting fourth if we lose an early wicket as well. If we get off to a decent start and see off the new ball then I'd be fine with him coming in at 3, if we don't then you are effectively sending in your best batsman to face a new ball which isn't the strongest part of his game. 

I'll readily admit I was happy for Roy to come in the test team based on his ODI performances as I also was for Archer. He's looked brilliant opening in the ODI team and I thought the experience would more than make up for the adaptations needed to be made going into the test team. Despite 4 shite innings I'd retain him still, largely because who else is out there knocking on the door? 

That young lad Hameed dropped off a cliff, Jennings would be on his 4th chance or something, Stoneman and other couldn't cut it. Get Leach opening fuck it!

Anyone know why Foakes got dropped? He had a good start to his England career, would like him to have another chance and have 3 keepers in the team. When Anderson returns, who would you drop? Looks like it'll probably be Woakes... 

13 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Good Test despite the weather on the first day and the 75 minutes lost this morning. Good effort from England but fair play to Labuschagne and Head who batted well. Archer and leach with good efforts. Sets things up nicely for Headingley. The Weather is supposed to be good for the duration of that test. Even if Smith is fit enough he won't be relishing facing Archer on the Headingley pitch. 

Hopefully goes the full 5 days as we've got tickets for the Monday can't see it though 

Guest Pistonbroke

If Foakes was brought back into the fold then it would have to be as replacement for Buttler IMO and then play Foakes as WK and let Bairstow concentrate on his batting. It won't happen though, not until after the Ashes where we might expect wholesale changes should we lose them. 

Difficult choice to make reference Anderson coming back when fit. Archer is a must and Broad is getting wickets. Woakes is a steady bowler but would have to be the obvious choice to replace, especially as we have Stokes who is basically a 4th seam bowler in the attack. 

Roy is the major problem, like I said, it was an experiment anyway, one which hasn't worked. Jennings wasn't great but he wasn't as shit as others either. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Hopefully goes the full 5 days as we've got tickets for the Monday can't see it though 

Looking at Yorkshire's home games in the Championship the wicket seems to be a mixed bag, seam bowlers getting lots of wickets. Quite a few low first innings scores but also a few 300+ innings along the way. It could easily be over in 4 days mate, hopefully it goes to a 5th and you get to see us level the series. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Looking at Yorkshire's home games in the Championship the wicket seems to be a mixed bag, seam bowlers getting lots of wickets. Quite a few low first innings scores but also a few 300+ innings along the way. It could easily be over in 4 days mate, hopefully it goes to a 5th and you get to see us level the series. 

Cheers for that pal we headed upto Headingley  for the 20 /20 the other week the lad was doing the music for the local cricket clubs  one day round robin and wanted to pick up a few pointers we had a look at our seats while we were there and they are really good .

We've got the hotel on free cancellation basis so we can keep an eye on that but as I'm off I'd rather take in a days play 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

Cheers for that pal we headed upto Headingley  for the 20 /20 the other week the lad was doing the music for the local cricket clubs  one day round robin and wanted to pick up a few pointers we had a look at our seats while we were there and they are really good .

We've got the hotel on free cancellation basis so we can keep an eye on that but as I'm off I'd rather take in a days play 

The weather forecast is pretty decent for all 5 days. Mostly light clouds with a gentle breeze and around the 21°C mark on all days. Fingers crossed for you mucka. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

The weather forecast is pretty decent for all 5 days. Mostly light clouds with a gentle breeze and around the 21°C mark on all days. Fingers crossed for you mucka. 

At least as I'm off for the next fortnight I can watch some play at home 

17 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

If Foakes was brought back into the fold then it would have to be as replacement for Buttler IMO and then play Foakes as WK and let Bairstow concentrate on his batting. It won't happen though, not until after the Ashes where we might expect wholesale changes should we lose them. 

Difficult choice to make reference Anderson coming back when fit. Archer is a must and Broad is getting wickets. Woakes is a steady bowler but would have to be the obvious choice to replace, especially as we have Stokes who is basically a 4th seam bowler in the attack. 

Roy is the major problem, like I said, it was an experiment anyway, one which hasn't worked. Jennings wasn't great but he wasn't as shit as others either. 

Jennings is a decent player of spin, but he can’t play pace at all. He’s a sitting duck anywhere outside the subcontinent tours.

I actually thought Adam Lyth had the best technique of all the myriad openers England have tried over the last 8 years or so.  Real shame that Hameed fell off a cliff too.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Jennings is a decent player of spin, but he can’t play pace at all. He’s a sitting duck anywhere outside the subcontinent tours.

I actually thought Adam Lyth had the best technique of all the myriad openers England have tried over the last 8 years or so.  Real shame that Hameed fell off a cliff too.

Hameed is a big disappointment. Still a young lad though, so maybe's he'll sort his head out. It's hard to look to the championship for a replacement at the moment due to the lack of first class cricket. A lot of games where weather affected and then you had a long break due to the WC and the T20 blast or whatever it's called. The only one that springs to mind apart from Jennings is Sibley from Warwickshire. 

Some absolutely scintillating cricket. Archer has something that I've not seen in a bowler since Warne arrived on the scene. He makes you want to watch every ball. The narrative of Steve Smith being impenetrable was just blown apart and it was just utterly compulsive viewing.

Regarding the team going forward, it's quite complicated. I am very dubious about Denly, he's Mr 18-30, but he is so organised when he's at the crease, that I am still hopeful he'll make the breakthrough. I'm torn with Roy, I just want him to change his mentality slightly where the situation dictates. Flashing at the first ball of an innings is nonsense. 

Bairstow, Buttler and obviously Stokes all showed good signs for me in this test.

I think Anderson's international career might be over you know.

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Some absolutely scintillating cricket. Archer has something that I've not seen in a bowler since Warne arrived on the scene. He makes you want to watch every ball. The narrative of Steve Smith being impenetrable was just blown apart and it was just utterly compulsive viewing.

Regarding the team going forward, it's quite complicated. I am very dubious about Denly, he's Mr 18-30, but he is so organised when he's at the crease, that I am still hopeful he'll make the breakthrough. I'm torn with Roy, I just want him to change his mentality slightly where the situation dictates. Flashing at the first ball of an innings is nonsense. 

Bairstow, Buttler and obviously Stokes all showed good signs for me in this test.

I think Anderson's international career might be over you know.

Agreed. I'm not entirely convinced about Denly either, but he at least bats overs and time even if he's struggling to convert. Put him back at 3 though for fucks' sake, he might convert soon but even if he doesn't he'll stick around and keep Root from walking out to face a swinging ball delivered from an attack with their tails up. It's still absolute nonsense that Root's a middle order batsman virtually opening and Denly is a some time opener batting in the middle order.

Roy gets the series for me, I don't think he'll make it as an opener at Test level but I can see why he got the gig and it's not really fair to judge him in full when four of his first six innings have been against arguably the best attack in world cricket. I'm not sure we're seeing anything that the management weren't expecting - I suspect with a bare cupboard of openers they've picked a man on top of the world knowing he'll get plenty of low scores due to his fast and loose technique, but he might just click in an innings or two and when he does it could well be a bowler-busting match-winning knock.

Good to see Bairstow, Buttler and Stokes find some form - if this match gives our middle order its (Test) confidence back then the draw was quite possibly worth it.

Archer was brilliant, he reminded me of Harmison's golden year when he was all pace and aggression and gave England a completely different dimension to complement the consistently strong swing/seam department. Much higher ceiling though: he seems a much more straightforward character with a much more reliable action so  if he improves at even an average rate he's going to be fucking frightening.

Bit early for Jimmy's obituary though; he's still absolutely class in English conditions. Could be the beginning of the end if these injuries are going to become more commonplace but this sounds more like a player rushed back from injury too quickly rather than an ageing player breaking down.

• Upvote 1

Jimmy playing for Lancs 2nds on Thursday so could possibly be back for the 4th test as not until September 4th.

I personally would have dropped Denly , brought in Sibley and moved Roy down to 4.

Same squad chosen though so not going to happen , imagine it will be same team unless it is a total non-spinner pitch & Curran comes in for Leach.