You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

At effectively 34/3 England still in the box seat. Good rest overnight and hopefully come out all guns firing tomorrow with a bit of cloud cover. I'll only flap if we have to chase over 200.  

A pretty good day's cricket, all up. England still marginally ahead on account of the Aussies effectively being 3/34, but Smith still being in is huge. They mentioned he's averaged over 100 in 1st innings scores over the last 6 years. That's absolutely absurd, especially when you consider his technique not exactly one you'd teach kids. 

A lead of 225-250 would make an interesting chase. Surely Burns can't play and miss another 40 deliveries? Can he?

12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Been a great test match this, test cricket has to be the best sport there is

Ashes series in England are brilliant, really competitive. England have won them all since 2005, but apart from 2013 when we won 3-0, the series have been quite close. Ashes series in Australia are shit in comparison as the Aussies completely dominate. 

First hour is crucial. The forecast is cloud cover and if Broad and Woakes can get the ball to talk we should be able to cause all kinds of trouble. It's going to be a tough, gritty morning trying to get Smith out because he is not looking too troubled and even on day 4, this is not a pitch that seems to be doing all that much.

What England need to do if they aren't taking wickets is exert pressure. Stop them from scoring runs. Anything over 150 on this pitch is a knee knocker, so we need to keep it as low as possible. A great start would be getting Smith! 

7 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

First hour is crucial. The forecast is cloud cover and if Broad and Woakes can get the ball to talk we should be able to cause all kinds of trouble. It's going to be a tough, gritty morning trying to get Smith out because he is not looking too troubled and even on day 4, this is not a pitch that seems to be doing all that much.

What England need to do if they aren't taking wickets is exert pressure. Stop them from scoring runs. Anything over 150 on this pitch is a knee knocker, so we need to keep it as low as possible. A great start would be getting Smith! 

I just don’t see Smith getting out. We may be able to keep taking wickets at the other end but Smith is going to take the game away from us. We can’t stop him scoring runs because when he’s in this kind of nick he just knocks a single to leg side by default.

Without him we’d already have won this game, it’s really annoying.

In the next test we need Archer to throw some chin music at him. Plan Z.

16 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I just don’t see Smith getting out. We may be able to keep taking wickets at the other end but Smith is going to take the game away from us. We can’t stop him scoring runs because when he’s in this kind of nick he just knocks a single to leg side by default.

Without him we’d already have won this game, it’s really annoying.

In the next test we need Archer to throw some chin music at him. Plan Z.

If anyone's going to do it, it will be Ben Stokes. He's the man for the big occasion. 

Just now, TheBitch said:

I agree.

I should have stayed in bed and Brownie is deffo staying in his undies for the forseeable.

I’m getting a beer in a minute.

Sitting around in my undies drinking beer on a Sunday. What the fuck has happened to me?