You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

If you're talking about Boycs, I may have to beat you to death with a stick of rhubarb!

Mate 5 minutes ago all he had to offer was wondering what some woman was having for her lunch "salmon and rice?"  I can't stand him. 

What's "ultra-nationalistic" about using the words 'sir' and 'army'?

Any use of barmy army should be derided, because it's tedious and utter wank.  It barely even registers as nationalism though, especially in the context of a literal contest between two nations.  I bet there are St George's flags on display as well, shocking...

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't get Boycs on my stream.  I miss him, the big Brexity racist.  He gets a pass because he's Boycs. 

He's on TMS on 5 Live Extra. Not sure if it'd be possible to sync the commentary up though, it's usually a good minute or so ahead of Sky, never mind a stream.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

What's "ultra-nationalistic" about using the words 'sir' and 'army'?

Any use of barmy army should be derided, because it's tedious and utter wank.  It barely even registers as nationalism though, especially in the context of a literal contest between two nations.  I bet there are St George's flags on display as well, shocking...

Just the way I see it, they all come across as nobheads to me.  I get that it's a contest between two nations but fuck me, is there any need to sing "same old Aussies, always cheating" when the umpire makes an error?  It's just braindead, nationalistic tub-thumping.  I blame fucking Chumbawamba. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Brownie said:

Jennings is nowhere near good enough, it's been proven over time. Roy should really be at 4 but he's only opening because we've tried so many different players with poor results.

I reckon Burns has looked pretty solid this morning (obviously he'll get out shortly, now i've said that).

Jennings played 17 tests and averaged 25, not exactly good but no worse than any they have tried afterwards. Hit two centuries and a 50. Sometimes they need to stick to someone instead of swapping and changing for the sake of it. 

Burns and Root seem to be building a very good partnership here, missed most of it as I had stuff to do after the Roy wicket fell and was out and about. 

Hopefully we keep this up, but you know with both teams that one wicket can lead to a collapse. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Root gone to a drive, straight back to Siddel. 154/2. Good partnership, hopefully we can build on this, the batsmen coming in aren't under a great deal of scoreboard pressure. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Stickman said:

You shouldn't be allowed to change the ball mid innings . You get a ball at the start look after it as best you can and then you get a new one at 80 overs ..

Unless it goes totally our of shape 

Bowlers are always whinging about the shape of the ball, we did it as well. Umpires told us to fuck off though, they seem to have been more lenient on the Aussies. Hard to tell the full state of the ball from TV pictures though. This one they swapped it for definitely looks harder with a bit of extra bounce. Give it another 7 overs and a few boundaries and they'll be questioning this ball as well. 

Guest Pistonbroke

This ball looks fuck all like the older one, more bounce and movement. Saying they have chosen a duke ball from last year which swung more. Nice of the umpires to fuck us off when we asked but gave into the Aussies when the ball was only 60 overs old. Hope we stuff these bastards. They really do try every trick in the book. 

They need to look at this rule about changing the ball. Tight game, where the players are digging in and adapting to conditions and this is the period where we should be able to cash in when it’s flat and the ball is softer. Instead, they get a different ball which is hooping around and they have to totally adjust their game.