You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yeah and I have picked us to win this series mate. I said the other day we're average at red ball cricket but so are they.

I just think that in this test, a bowler down (we're talking about the highest wicket taking seamer in the history of the game) that we're behind the 8 ball, I don't think that's overly negative.

Anderson was a gamble though, which was my initial point. I also said it would mean harder work for the others to get 20 wickets. maybe's Anderson will be fit to bowl again later/2nd innings. I don't think hindsight is an issue, it was a gamble, one which they shouldn't have taken imo. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, both sides have frailties. I think it'll make for a decent, fairly even, series.

Should be an Ashes dominated by the ball. A lot will come down to which batting order can build partnerships by occupying time at the crease if necessary. Need to bin this aggressive approach, which is why I worry about using Roy as an Opener and Root batting 3, especially if he is in early doors. It could come off like. Might as well open with Root if they are going to play Burns as an opener. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Reviewing LBW on Wade, original decision not out, looks close. 

Wade out. 105/5 now. 

Good review again. Bairstow called it like. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Reviewing LBW on Wade, original decision not out, looks close. 

Wade out. 105/5 now. 

Good review again. Bairstow called it like. 

I was a bit worried, Bairstow isn't exactly renowned for calling these right, but he was spot on that time. Super bowling from Woakes.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mudface said:

I was a bit worried, Bairstow isn't exactly renowned for calling these right, but he was spot on that time. Super bowling from Woakes.

Umpires have been shite so far, always relying on the review system in the main. Looked plumb that. Like I said, Broad and Woakes bowling excellently this session so far. 

9 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anderson was a gamble though, which was my initial point. I also said it would mean harder work for the others to get 20 wickets. maybe's Anderson will be fit to bowl again later/2nd innings. I don't think hindsight is an issue, it was a gamble, one which they shouldn't have taken imo. 

I didn't see anyone in the build up say that Anderson shouldn't play, everyone knew he was coming back from an injury so it's always going to be part of the thought process but the selectors, coach and captain wouldn't have picked him if they thought this would happen.

Loads wanted Archer in yet he's had a side strain too.

As I say, easy with hindsight.

Anyway, 5 down now, get the fuck in.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Brownie said:

I didn't see anyone in the build up say that Anderson shouldn't play, everyone knew he was coming back from an injury so it's always going to be part of the thought process but the selectors, coach and captain wouldn't have picked him if they thought this would happen.

Loads wanted Archer in yet he's had a side strain too.

As I say, easy with hindsight.

Anyway, 5 down now, get the fuck in.

I honestly didn't think Anderson would be picked for the first test, or Archer. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I honestly didn't think Anderson would be picked for the first test, or Archer. 

I was certain Jimmy would because he declared himself fit for the Ireland game and wanted to play.

The tightness in his calf is apparently in a different place to where his injury was.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I was certain Jimmy would because he declared himself fit for the Ireland game and wanted to play.

The tightness in his calf is apparently in a different place to where his injury was.

I'd have bowled a fit Curran. It was only 4 weeks ago that Anderson tore his calf muscle playing for Lancashire. If the player himself thought he was fit then they should have tested him against Ireland. It may be in a different part, no official news as of yet, but either way an injury of that sort tends to cause issues with a different part of the calf.  

Guest Pistonbroke

Paine goes for the short ball trap and out. 112/6....all England after Lunch so far. Gift of a wicket to a shit shot, well planned by Broad. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Aussies have a real Tail, can't see them getting more than 170 unless Smith farms the strike and bats really well from here on in. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Another LBW that was missing the stumps on replay, why wouldn't they review that? 

Ahh well, these umpires have been naff today. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Lovely stuff.

Jimmy Who?

At 37 he can't have much left in the tank at Test level. If his injury is bad we might not see him again. Hopefully it isn't bad like, but he gets eased back in if needed. 

Just now, Mudface said:

To be fair, they were singing, 'you're gonna cry in a minute' to Smith, which was quite funny.

It was hilarious until the review went his way.

I don't buy into all the Smith hatred.  Awesome player and this series would be dull without him.  

Guest Pistonbroke

They are singing 'We all shagged Matilda' now. I can only guess what would be said if the Aussie fans took the piss out of Jerusalem or another traditonal England song.