You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I know it is effective but Smith's batting method is horrible.

It's always been questioned, yet it works for him. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Runs starting to flow now, England still have a very attacking field which means any lose ball stands a chance of going for a 4, most of Aussies runs have come off boundaries. Stokes radar is all over the place this morning. Lot of leg byes. Get Anderson back for a few overs. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Remmie said:

Beeb saying possibly due to getting treatment on his bowling hand earlier.

Cheers, missed that. It can't be anything bad if he's fielding at slip though. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Evens Stevens I reckon, although having lost the toss I'd say England probably happier. England will be happy with the three early wickets and the Aussies will be happy to have a set partnership at the crease. Hopefully get one of these out early doors after the lunch break. 

Nice to have test cricket back on the menu. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Anderson has left the ground for a scan on his troublesome calf issue. Shit news, you have to wonder why they picked him. If he can't bowl much from here on in that puts a lot of work on the others to get 20 wickets. 

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anderson has left the ground for a scan on his troublesome calf issue. Shit news, you have to wonder why they picked him. If he can't bowl much from here on in that puts a lot of work on the others to get 20 wickets. 

They wouldn't have picked him if they thought this would happen, clearly. Easy with hindsight.

The commentators are saying that the bowling was really good in the morning session but I disagree. Every time they bowled straight or short they conceded easy runs. It looks like a good batting pitch so you need to bowl a good length just outside off stump, over and over again. 

The bowling line has been all over the shop.

With Anderson being out I see nothing other than an Aussie win from here.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Brownie said:

They wouldn't have picked him if they thought this would happen, clearly. Easy with hindsight.

The commentators are saying that the bowling was really good in the morning session but I disagree. Every time they bowled straight or short they conceded easy runs. It looks like a good batting pitch so you need to bowl a good length just outside off stump, over and over again. 

The bowling line has been all over the shop.

With Anderson being out I see nothing other than an Aussie win from here.

It was an issue going into the series mate, picking him was clearly a gamble. They bowled well, the runs came as we were setting very aggressive fields, being as we had them 3 down early on. Only Stokes was wild and struggling for line and length. 

The last bit I highlighted, I'm not shocked as you are pretty consistent with your pessimism as far as Test Cricket goes. All about opinions though. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

It was an issue going into the series mate, picking him was clearly a gamble. They bowled well, the runs came as we were setting very aggressive fields, being as we had them 3 down early on. Only Stokes was wild and struggling for line and length. 

The last bit I highlighted, I'm not shocked as you are pretty consistent with your pessimism as far as Test Cricket goes. All about opinions though. 

I'm pessimistic because our test team has been bang average for a few years now. I'm the opposite with the ODI team.

Funny that.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I'm pessimistic because our test team has been bang average for a few years now. I'm the opposite with the ODI team.

Funny that.

Still a match for the Aussies who are only ranked 5th in Test Match Cricket, behind us. I don't get the negativity when clearly both teams are evenly matched and England have the advantage of playing at home. 

The situation with Anderson was clearly a gamble. There was clear doubt about his fitness and was all over the media. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Still a match for the Aussies who are only ranked 5th in Test Match Cricket, behind us. I don't get the negativity when clearly both teams are evenly matched and England have the advantage of playing at home. 

The situation with Anderson was clearly a gamble. There was clear doubt about his fitness and was all over the media. 

Yeah and I have picked us to win this series mate. I said the other day we're average at red ball cricket but so are they.

I just think that in this test, a bowler down (we're talking about the highest wicket taking seamer in the history of the game) that we're behind the 8 ball, I don't think that's overly negative.