You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

7 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Good stuff from New Zealand to come back after a dreadful start but that's what proper sides do when they're in the shit, they batten down the hatches and make sure they eek out a total that gives them a fighting chance rather than going gung-ho and trying to hit every ball out the park

Yeah. Always been an intelligent team, and better than the sum of their parts.

Guest Pistonbroke

237/ 6 is about a par score on this track, maybe even 10-15 runs more than par. Sensible mid order batting from NZ but Pakistan just went through the motions in those middle overs rather than going for the jugular. If NZ bowl well with the new ball I reckon Pakistan will struggle here. Great innings for Neesham, deserved a century there but just fell short on 97 NO. Sets up a cracking match. 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

New Zealand gifted a way back in to the game. Utterly brainless from Hafeez.

Indeed, begs the question why NZ didn't use spin earlier as well. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Pakistan will piss this barring an absolute collapse. We could end up with an India v Pakistan semi and the other between Aus v NZ. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Strange captaincy from Willamson as well, should have left the spinners on whilst they were in the groove and a new batsman finding it difficult. NZ still have to play Australia and then England, If England manage to beat India and Aus beat NZ it would set up a massive last match between England and NZ. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Some partnership this. After the start to the tournament they had they must have had a sneaky bet on themselves, playing like potential champions here. They'll probably go out next and struggle to beat Afghanistan or Bangladesh thereafter. 

Spooky graphics showing their run in 92 and the current tournament, absolute symmetry. 

Guest Pistonbroke

In the context of the game that has to be the most important/best century in the Tournament thus far. Also the best partnership. Crowd is buzzing. 

You have to say that wicket wise these pitches have produced a cracking WC so far, something in them for everyone. NZ needed a few more early wickets or in that spell where they brought spin into the equation. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I've totally left SL out of my reckoning, they have to play SA tomorrow followed by the West Indies and finally India. They ain't out of this as they are capable of winning two of those games. 

Guest Pistonbroke

India v West Indies.

India won the toss and decided to bat. 29/1 after 6 overs.

Strange decision to give Rohit out. Umpire on the field said not out but the Windies reviewed it. The third umpire said he was out but the video evidence wasn't clear to me, the ball looked like it nicked the pad with the bat being close but no evidence that it hit the bat. Shit umpiring imo. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

Great decision not to play Roach in the earlier games.

I was just wandering why they hadn't played him. Might have been carrying a knock, or just out of favour. He's been their best bowler here along with Holder himself. WI have pulled this back well, still expect India to win though. They were looking at 300+, might have to revise that to about 280 if they keep on losing wickets at the present rate. Important partnership now, if the Windies can get Kohli out soon they are bang in the game. 

59 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

India building a nice platform, they look by far the best team in the tournament. 

I genuinely hope Australia don't rain on the parade, G - because cheats shouldn't prosper.

But that young chap Finch is about as honest as our Henderson, and he'll be lifting the Cup if that happens - not disgraced captain Smith nor Warner.

The best team in the tournament over the years hasn't won, as often as not.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

I genuinely hope Australia don't rain on the parade, G - because cheats shouldn't prosper.

But that young chap Finch is about as honest as our Henderson, and he'll be lifting the Cup - not disgraced captain Smith nor Warner.

The best team in the tournament over the years hasn't won, as often as not.

You'll need to sort out your game mid overs mate, but I guess any team that makes the Semi's will fancy their chances. Hard to see past India imo, but the final is at Lords and if Australia make the final they'll fancy their chances on that strip. I had a flutter on NZ but they have been poor in their last two matches. Pakistan seem to have found some form after a poor start, much like they did in 92. I honestly don't think England will make top 4, they just haven't got the players who can adapt to the different wickets/conditions apart from Root and Stokes now and again. Roy being injured was a big loss, also not being able to call in Hales due to obvious reasons. If England don't make the semi's I'd love Bangladesh to make it, that Shakib is a class act and I also rate that Mushifiqur (sp) 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

You'll need to sort out your game mid overs mate, but I guess any team that makes the Semi's will fancy their chances. Hard to see past India imo, but the final is at Lords and if Australia make the final they'll fancy their chances on that strip. I had a flutter on NZ but they have been poor in their last two matches. Pakistan seem to have found some form after a poor start, much like they did in 92. I honestly don't think England will make top 4, they just haven't got the players who can adapt to the different wickets/conditions apart from Root and Stokes now and again. Roy being injured was a big loss, also not being able to call in Hales due to obvious reasons. If England don't make the semi's I'd love Bangladesh to make it, that Shakib is a class act and I also rate that Mushifiqur (sp) 

The funny thing is, Australia have adapted to conditions better in England than England this time - exactly the thing that has embarrassed us on the last couple of Ashes tours.  Mind you, there's still time for that.