You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

They have proven they can mate, just been suspect of late. That can easily change. If Pakistan beat NZ tomorrow they'll have Afghanistan and Bangladesh left and fancy their chances though. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

They have proven they can mate, just been suspect of late. That can easily change. If Pakistan beat NZ tomorrow they'll have Afghanistan and Bangladesh left and fancy their chances though. 

Under pressure, in conditions they don't like, and in the biggest games, I just don't see that they have the collective intelligence to manage games. We're the best in the world when the sun is shining (literally and figuratively). When it isn't, we don't adapt well enough.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

Under pressure, in conditions they don't like, and in the biggest games, I just don't see that they have the collective intelligence to manage games. We're the best in the world when the sun is shining (literally and figuratively). When it isn't, we don't adapt well enough.

Yeah, we're set up to be flat track bullies, but we do have some very good batsmen, they just need to read the conditions better and build a foundation. Having Vince in as an opener alongside Bairstow who is very good but gives early chances for LBW's doesn't fill one with confidence. It might have been a good toss to lose this morning, hindsight is a wonderful thing though. 

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah, we're set up to be flat track bullies, but we do have some very good batsmen, they just need to read the conditions better and build a foundation. Having Vince in as an opener alongside Bairstow who is very good but gives early chances for LBW's doesn't fill one with confidence. It might have been a good toss to lose this morning, hindsight is a wonderful thing though. 

Setting up to be flat track bullies is considerably better than what we used to be. We were negative and shit. I just think the next step is being able to have a plan B of sorts. India do it well.

Vince is shite, frankly. Root should open, or recall Hales. Or fucking anyone else, but Vince just isn't an international cricketer. I still think the middle order requires someone slightly more conservative (or simply adaptive really) to break up all the hitters.

If you think we often have Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali from 4-7. None of them regularly anchor an innings well enough. 

Personally I wouldn't pick Ali. I don't think he's quite good enough at either discipline. 

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Setting up to be flat track bullies is considerably better than what we used to be. We were negative and shit. I just think the next step is being able to have a plan B of sorts. India do it well.

Vince is shite, frankly. Root should open, or recall Hales. Or fucking anyone else, but Vince just isn't an international cricketer. I still think the middle order requires someone slightly more conservative (or simply adaptive really) to break up all the hitters.

If you think we often have Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali from 4-7. None of them regularly anchor an innings well enough. 

Personally I wouldn't pick Ali. I don't think he's quite good enough at either discipline. 

Hard to disagree with any of that, Rashid is every bit as good as Ali and if you need a second spinner Root has a knack of taking wickets and is not that expensive. Ali is a good Test player, bit naff at the shorter game though. Vince has failed time and time again, If Roy is injured then surely Root is the better option to open with. You could then bring in another mid order batsman and move Morgan up to 3. 

Guest Pistonbroke

If we fail to make the top 4 after having all our so called easier matches stacked at the start you'd have to question Morgan's captaincy. He can be a devastating player but I've never rated him as a captain. 

I never gave the Aussies much chance of top 4, so fair play to them, but fuck having those two cheats lift the trophy. 

Woakes bowled ok early on, Archer and Wood were poor early on, too short.

We had no luck mi d but we should have bowled way better early on.

Vince is not good enough, Hales should still have been picked.

No Plan B like Jairz says, too cocky by half in my opinion. That includes Morgan.

Disaster if they don’t make the semis.

One day cricket and pitches are set up for the way England play...just keep going despite losing wickets and it works because the pitches are so batsman friendly.

Thing is we have had no sun in this country since god knows when so the pitches have not been able to be prepared the same way.

You are getting pitches with a better contest between bat and ball like you did 10 - 15 years ago.

This has shown up England's inability to bat differently and like most people say have a plan B

Guest Pistonbroke

If only another top order batsman had batted like Stokes. Still up with the RR but wickets in hand will cost us here. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

With the glasses? Indian looking woman? 

Bah, a young Blonde sat with her mother.