You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Bob can be a bit harsh at times but he’s right about Jennings. He’s nowhere near good enough and has had more chances than he deserves if we’re being honest.

The big problem is that there aren’t any players in the County game who are forcing their way into the reckoning. There are plenty of views on why that is but it’s really hurting the test team because they’re often 20/2 and having to rebuild.

I’d recall Ian Bell for the Ashes.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Bob can be a bit harsh at times but he’s right about Jennings. He’s nowhere near good enough and has had more chances than he deserves if we’re being honest.

The big problem is that there aren’t any players in the County game who are forcing their way into the reckoning. There are plenty of views on why that is but it’s really hurting the test team because they’re often 20/2 and having to rebuild.

I’d recall Ian Bell for the Ashes.

Couldnt agree more mate. 

Used to drive me fucking mental listening to twats wanting Cook dropped. We couldn’t find one test opener in County cricket, how the fuck were we going to find two? 

Feel a bit for Jennings. I know a few people who've done stuff with the Durham setup and he's supposed to be a really sound lad, a proper county pro in the making who's dedicated to his craft, puts in plenty of hours of practice with the coaches and has a deep respect for the game. He also made plenty of time for the community stuff the club did. He's just not quite good enough though and his flaws are being ruthlessly exposed at a level that's too high for him.

I've never quite understood the approach with players like him and Ballance (another sound pro high on resilience but low on ability) - to an extent I understand not just picking county punts and hoping for the best but a player without the technique for Test cricket is unlikely to suddenly develop one after a run of low scores. It's damaging for the team as well - not his fault this, but when you pick an XI of number 6's you really need the top 3 to do their job or the lineup will collapse into its foundations of sand.

Pleased for Wood, anyway. He's always been good at his best - he's just lacked the fitness to be able to sustain it for more than a couple of overs. Hopefully he's turned a corner because we're in dire need of a quick bowling option outside of the "game orthodox swinger" facsimiles we're so good at.

And Burns goes to the first ball of the day....

How many times do England lose a wicket at the beginning or end of a session?

People are rightly banging on about Jennings but Burns seems to be getting an easy ride he constantly manages to find ridiculous ways to get out I mean that wasn't even a loosener from Paul