Quantcast
The New Cricket Thread - Page 138 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
A_S

The New Cricket Thread

I onew Wood was quick but wow that was some next level shit today.

Several batsmen just didn’t have any time to play their shots, it was like watching us against Mitchell Johnson.

From the very little of Wood I've seen I've always rated him, shame his career has been blighted by injuries. 

Terrific catch by Broad, looked like he'd judged the flight poorly but made an incredible recovery. 

Bob can be a bit harsh at times but he’s right about Jennings. He’s nowhere near good enough and has had more chances than he deserves if we’re being honest.

The big problem is that there aren’t any players in the County game who are forcing their way into the reckoning. There are plenty of views on why that is but it’s really hurting the test team because they’re often 20/2 and having to rebuild.

I’d recall Ian Bell for the Ashes.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Bob can be a bit harsh at times but he’s right about Jennings. He’s nowhere near good enough and has had more chances than he deserves if we’re being honest.

The big problem is that there aren’t any players in the County game who are forcing their way into the reckoning. There are plenty of views on why that is but it’s really hurting the test team because they’re often 20/2 and having to rebuild.

I’d recall Ian Bell for the Ashes.

Couldnt agree more mate. 

Used to drive me fucking mental listening to twats wanting Cook dropped. We couldn’t find one test opener in County cricket, how the fuck were we going to find two? 

Willis is brilliant. My favourite being...

”Well personally Charles, I think he’s a cheat”. 

Actually had the bollocks to stand up and say what everyone could see with their own eyes. 

Another Bob Willis fan, I love watching The Verdict on Sky, one of the best things about their excellent cricket coverage.

I agree on Ian Bell too. Also think it might be worth trying Jason Roy, at least he looks to have the bottle to play international cricket.

Feel a bit for Jennings. I know a few people who've done stuff with the Durham setup and he's supposed to be a really sound lad, a proper county pro in the making who's dedicated to his craft, puts in plenty of hours of practice with the coaches and has a deep respect for the game. He also made plenty of time for the community stuff the club did. He's just not quite good enough though and his flaws are being ruthlessly exposed at a level that's too high for him.

I've never quite understood the approach with players like him and Ballance (another sound pro high on resilience but low on ability) - to an extent I understand not just picking county punts and hoping for the best but a player without the technique for Test cricket is unlikely to suddenly develop one after a run of low scores. It's damaging for the team as well - not his fault this, but when you pick an XI of number 6's you really need the top 3 to do their job or the lineup will collapse into its foundations of sand.

Pleased for Wood, anyway. He's always been good at his best - he's just lacked the fitness to be able to sustain it for more than a couple of overs. Hopefully he's turned a corner because we're in dire need of a quick bowling option outside of the "game orthodox swinger" facsimiles we're so good at.

And Burns goes to the first ball of the day....

How many times do England lose a wicket at the beginning or end of a session?

People are rightly banging on about Jennings but Burns seems to be getting an easy ride he constantly manages to find ridiculous ways to get out I mean that wasn't even a loosener from Paul

England on the verge of winning the 3rd and final test. This performance has been much more like it, notwithstanding the drop in intensity from the Windies.

Root handled it brilliantly.  No drama, wandered near the stump mike yet didn’t throw him under the bus when he could have potentially ended his season.