You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Assuming his body holds up, I'm looking forward to seeing Cummins in England for the Ashes and World Cup. He's been excellent in this series, despite a lot of shite from his teammates.

Also, they did a one-on-one interview with Michael Holding in the lunch break of today's play. Such an interesting bloke to listen to. One of the great men still involved in the game.

Assuming his body holds up, I'm looking forward to seeing Cummins in England for the Ashes and World Cup. He's been excellent in this series, despite a lot of shite from his teammates.

Also, they did a one-on-one interview with Michael Holding in the lunch break of today's play. Such an interesting bloke to listen to. One of the great men still involved in the game.

Cummins is such a great cricketer.

So proud that he played a season for my beloved Tassie.  And he was fucking great for us too, no surprise.

Any link?

Holding is ace.

The batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey.

Think I've mentioned this before but one of the best players I' seen play for my local side Bootle was an Aussie called Adam Warren. A fast bowler but could bat too. Was at a cup game somewhere in Lancashire one Sunday and it was a horrible damp drizzly day. It was touch and go if the game would be called off but the emphasis is always to get the game on if possible. It was the second innings and and Bootle were never going to lose. Warren was bowling and the umpire threatened to abandon the game if the Bootle captain didn't order Warren to slow his deliveries down. Never seen anyone as good as him since he left.

• Upvote 1

I thought this on The Guardian page was an interesting snippet:

Robin Hazlehurst wants us to consider the butterfly effect of ball tampering. It’s worth chewing over. “One thing I haven’t seen discussed anywhere is any possible victims other than the culprits themselves. There may not have been any here, but ball-tampering is not necessarily a victimless crime. Try the following thought experiment:

Suppose Australia had found a way outside the rules of the game to make the ball do unlikely things and consequently take wickets that nobody else could take. Then suppose South Africa had picked a new batsman and a new bowler at the start of the series. After two tests and four nothing scores, the batsman is dropped because he can’t handle the Aussie bowling, while the bowler is dropped because he can’t make the ball misbehave in the way his opponents can. Two possible careers and sets of dreams are destroyed by cheating, but the tears are cried off-camera and without much attention. I wonder if any promising careers have actually been sawn-off through such a chain of events? Not in this series, but maybe in others. It’s like doping in cycling or athletics, the victim is the guy who competes clean and comes in fifth and loses his contract. That is where sympathy should be aimed in cases of cheating in sport.”

• Upvote 1

Do you reckon this is the tip of the iceberg?

I'm not basing this on anything other than gut feeling but I reckon loads of teams have been doing this for quite some time

I'd be surprised if there was anything like what the Aussies have been up to. You may get bowlers individually trying to gain an advantage but that's about it. 

I'd be surprised if there was anything like what the Aussies have been up to. You may get bowlers individually trying to gain an advantage but that's about it.

I think they will have had reason to think they would get away with it, maybe smaller cheats building up to this.

It also makes me wonder about other ways to cheat, like I vaguely recollect a commentator saying something about putting fibre glass tape (if such a thing exists) on the edges of bats to make nicks behind harder to detect with hotspot.

Having said all that, if it were me trying to cheat, I'd come up with something a lot more sophisticated than what these dimwits have done. 1 fielder with sweets for the shiny side and another for sanding the ball with a white coloured paper sewn in to my back pocket or something is what I've come up with in less than 2 minutes thinking about it and my cricket knowledge must be an absolutely miniscule fraction of theirs

I think they will have had reason to think they would get away with it, maybe smaller cheats building up to this.

It also makes me wonder about other ways to cheat, like I vaguely recollect a commentator saying something about putting fibre glass tape (if such a thing exists) on the edges of bats to make nicks behind harder to detect with hotspot.

Having said all that, if it were me trying to cheat, I'd come up with something a lot more sophisticated than what these dimwits have done. 1 fielder with sweets for the shiny side and another for sanding the ball with a white coloured paper sewn in to my back pocket or something is what I've come up with in less than 2 minutes thinking about it and my cricket knowledge must be an absolutely miniscule fraction of theirs

You are correct about the tape on the bat, I think that was quite widespread, if memory serves Kevin Pietersen used it, or it was alleged he did.

I also wonder how much pitch doctoring happens overnight.

What about bowlers footwear and stepping into the pitch? Could they get extra sharp studs to damage the pitch and cop a couple warnings

Just thought of another ball tampering cheat- when it's time to take drinks, sip a pure syrup drink for ball polishing

Just thought of another ball tampering cheat- when it's time to take drinks, sip a pure syrup drink for ball polishing

Not sure that one would work because the players would spend the rest of the day running around like streakers.

Fucking ridiculous this , said the England match would start early because of the bad light lat night but seemed they had cocked the rules up and with the connivance of the umpires have come up with some cobblers about dew on the outfield. Often hear people going on about football not caring about paying customers but, as I found out at an Old Trafford one-dayer with the Windies last summer , it has plenty to learn from cricket.