You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

Does anyone  not take an enormous amount of joy from the Australians losing? 

Great isn’t it?

Following up Headingley by having the same happen to them at home, at the Gabba no less; you just love to see it.

India will probably destroy England in that series next month.

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

Great isn’t it?

Following up Headingley by having the same happen to them at home, at the Gabba no less; you just love to see it.

Agreed. And this was a far from full strength India, too. 

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Great isn’t it?

They haven't come up against England's spin kings Bess and Lynch yet   

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Agreed. And this was a far from full strength India, too. 

They went through 20 odd players I think. Outstanding performance given the circumstances. Can't begrudge them the win for a moment, especially with wankers like Smith and Paine behaving like dickheads as per usual.

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Team India just gave the confidence to Kohli to have more kids..

I'm wondering whether it begins a push for Rahane to become captain. And I'm not even joking. I'm a huge Kohli fan, but Rahane was the personification of calm throughout this series. 

I'm still getting my head around it. Crazy game. Australia didn't bowl the worst (Cummins is world class and bowled accordingly) and they batted ok overall (Laberschagne and Smith both justifying their 60+ averages). Yet they were defeated by a 2nd/3rd string Indian bowling attack at a venue they've not lost at since a trio by the names of Marshall, Walsh and Ambrose rolled the Aussies more than 3 decades ago. 

Even more unbelievable is that all of 2 months ago, Gill and Pant weren't in this Indian XI. They'll be shoe-ins for the England tour. 

Shit day for Australian cricket. But a great day (or couple of months) for Test cricket. 

14 minutes ago, A_S said:

I'm wondering whether it begins a push for Rahane to become captain. And I'm not even joking. I'm a huge Kohli fan, but Rahane was the personification of calm throughout this series. 

I'm still getting my head around it. Crazy game. Australia didn't bowl the worst (Cummins is world class and bowled accordingly) and they batted ok overall (Laberschagne and Smith both justifying their 60+ averages). Yet they were defeated by a 2nd/3rd string Indian bowling attack at a venue they've not lost at since a trio by the names of Marshall, Walsh and Ambrose rolled the Aussies more than 3 decades ago. 

Even more unbelievable is that all of 2 months ago, Gill and Pant weren't in this Indian XI. They'll be shoe-ins for the England tour. 

Shit day for Australian cricket. But a great day (or couple of months) for Test cricket. 

Even though am not a fan of Kohli's captaincy myself, I don't see him coming back and not becoming the captain even though he deserted the team at the time when they needed him the most. The other flipside is that Shastri will stay on longer as the coach. Australia had probably the best team bowling attack but we're undone by team performance and sheer resilience and grit by the Indians, the kind of which they haven't shown for some time.

Brilliant from Anderson again in taking six wickets and also becomes the first England player to take the first four wickets in an innings for the fourth time...Sri Lanka all out for 381 which should have been a lot less bit it's just unfortunate that Bess and Leach are dogshit spinners....And I use the term spinner very loosely.

Watch the Sri Lankan players turn it square now  

I find it very difficult to get my head around an innings in Sri Lanka where seam takes all 10 wickets.

India looking a scary prospect with these two 'spinners' and the openers fallibility against spin.

A pity that Rashid only plays short form these days and Moeen's form has mirrored his football team. Burns is in the squad so that might help. I would have put Keaton Jennings in the squad. Not sure I would have sent Bairstow home but I accept they have to look at workloads

England will get murdered in India. The only good development for them is the fact that India are less interested in spin these days and have some brilliant quicks instead, so maybe they'll prepare the pitches a bit differently to normal.

Think they'll get tonked either way though.

Root looks in great nick, however, which is good to see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

England will get murdered in India. The only good development for them is the fact that India are less interested in spin these days and have some brilliant quicks instead, so maybe they'll prepare the pitches a bit differently to normal.

Think they'll get tonked either way though.

Root looks in great nick, however, which is good to see.

Indian are always strong at home, even the all conquering Aussies captained by Steve Waugh only won one series in India. But just as India are strong favourites to win against England in the upcoming series, I fancy England to batter them at home in the summer because the Indian batsmen can’t play against the swinging ball.