You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

15 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Honestly think the Smith thing has been blown out of all proportion, and i cant stand the fella. It's gamesmanship more than cheating in my opinion. Easy enough to ask the umpire where you should take guard again, really. 

It’s the exact opposite.  He’s altering the pitch to gain an advantage. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the crease. 

You'd think after the cheating he'd try to be absolutely beyond reproach. If he doesn't learn from it this time (and I agree the act itself was more gamesmanship than cheating) then he's even more of a moron than he looks the fake crying prick. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Why is he doing it? To gain an advantage.  The pitch isnt his. He shouldn’t be anywhere near it.  He’s cheating. 

If anything he's doing it to annoy Pant, i don't know the man's psyche, but i know what cheating is. As much as i dislike the man this isn't cheating in my book. This is just plain and simple shlthousery, like Ruddock repeatedly putting Cantona's collars down during a match.

I'm not sure what actual advantage, apart from maybe breaking someone's concentration, scuffing their guard gives you. And if we are talking about psychological nagging, which cricket team hasn't tried that throughout history?  Are we going to start calling them all cheats?

4 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

If anything he's doing it to annoy Pant, i don't know the man's psyche, but i know what cheating is. As much as i dislike the man this isn't cheating in my book. This is just plain and simple shlthousery, like Ruddock repeatedly putting Cantona's collars down during a match.

I'm not sure what actual advantage, apart from maybe breaking someone's concentration, scuffing their guard gives you. And if we are talking about psychological nagging, which cricket team hasn't tried that throughout history?  Are we going to start calling them all cheats?

The guard is there so Pant knows where his stumps are.  He removes it.  He shouldn’t be standing anywhere near the crease. He’s scuffing the pitch with his boots. It’s very simple. 

It’s not chirping, it’s not sledging.  He’s doing something to change the surface.  Cheating. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

The guard is there so Pant knows where his stumps are.  He removes it.  He shouldn’t be standing anywhere near the crease. He’s scuffing the pitch with his boots. It’s very simple. 

It’s not chirping, it’s not sledging.  He’s doing something to change the surface.  Cheating. 

It's a mark that Pant has already put there and will put there again. It doesn't have any effect on a thing, apart from making Pant mark out his guard again. He isn't walking repeatedly across pitch marks further up the crease that will affect how the ball behaves, or putting sandpaper on the ball.  

We're going around in circles here. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is that actually in the rules? That fielders can’t remove marks made by batsmen on the crease?

Or something similar?

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

It's a mark that Pant has already put there and will put there again. It doesn't have any effect on a thing, apart from making Pant mark out his guard again. He isn't walking repeatedly across pitch marks further up the crease that will affect how the ball behaves, or putting sandpaper on the ball.  

We're going around in circles here. 

I played for about 30 years, I’ve never seen it done in person, and it’s the first time I’ve seen it on the TV. IMO he’s altering the pitch to gain an advantage - by putting Pant off. That’s cheating. 

You can bet your life kids and village cricketers will be doing it next season. 

Not having it that it's the same as Ruddock putting down Cantona's collar. Cantona didn't need his collar to play the game and score goals, so that's an irritation. Pant needs his guard to know where his stumps are - yeah he can remark it so it's not the worst type of cheating, but I can still envisage a scenario where he forgets, or loses sight of it or whatever, and loses his off stump as a result of someone else's "not in play" actions.

It's not full-on cheating, but, with his reputation...

inbetweeners.gif

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think he’s more acting the cunt than cheating tbh, I think the Ruddock analogy is a good one, he’s a piece of work though the jumpy twat, as has been said after the sand paper you would think he would be beyond reproach. I’ve not seen the game what was Paines sledging all about?

Yep, a big takeaway from this is- how fucking dumb is Smith? Regardless of whether it's cheating or bad sportsmanship, did he really think no one would notice when there's a stump cam recording what he's doing from a few feet away?

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think he’s more acting the cunt than cheating tbh, I think the Ruddock analogy is a good one, he’s a piece of work though the jumpy twat, as has been said after the sand paper you would think he would be beyond reproach. I’ve not seen the game what was Paines sledging all about?

Just a rather unfunny attempt to Ravi Ashwin after he got hit by a bouncer.

Paine: I can’t wait to get you in Brisbane, Ash.

Ashwin: I can’t wait to see you in India. It’ll be your last series.

Paine: At least my teammates like me, dickhead.

• Upvote 1