You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

His average is only 2 less than Bairstow at 32... Foakes average is 40

I'd have either of those two in ahead of Buttler anytime I know Bairstow is having a rough time but he'll come good again....Curran has just come in and hit a quickfire 24 including the biggest six of the innings so you have players who can take it to the opposition further down the order...I'd rather have a wicketkeeper who can actually hold up one end when needed to

Mark Wood 42 off 23 balls and 5 sixes.....

I was going to say if Mark Wood can bat like that then it could be hard to get SA out twice but cricket doesn't work like that especially when you've been out in the field for nearly two days

Great innings of 135 not out by Pope I do hope England don't start moving up the order just yet let him settle in to the side first before fucking him up

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Woolster said:

Why not let Broad go out and swing his arms for the last wicket and give Pope a chance to get to 150?

Surprised they never tried to get the 500 at least, although I think Pope will be happy enough avoiding taking a chance on dobbing his average with a hole-out.

At least we avoid a repeat of Stuart Broad mimicking the maid on Tom and Jerry to avoid a yorker crushing his toes.

That too, its another little psychological boost considering they hadn't managed to get to 400 for a while.

They added 30 odd off what, 3 or 4 overs between the no ball wicket and the actual wicket. Could have added another 20 odd to turn that screw more and give us a bit more flexibility if we get to a position to declare in the 2nd innings. And if the wicket falls straight away, it makes no difference

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Despite a flat and slow wicket that was a great day of Test match cricket. Great knocks by Stokes and Pope, great to see Pope get his maiden century, he looks a class act. Good little knocks by both Curran and Wood to nudge the score close to 500, strange declaration. Buttler must be under pressure to start performing with the bat though, not like he's a great keeper. England could easily give the gloves to Pope and add another batsman for the final test, which is something worth thinking about. Nice for Bess to get a couple of wickets. With a bit of bad weather about I'd be surprised if we get a result from this match though. Mind you, this SA line up is full of young players and other players out of nick, so who knows. Things looking better on the batting front though, hopefully they can go on from here and also do it against better teams. 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

2 wickets is pretty good going. Strange that it took so long for Wood to come on.

Yeah, he looked fast when he came on. You could see the batsmen having new problems to deal with. 

32 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Rabada's ban is a joke. He'd just knocked back the off stump of the opposing captain and showed some emotion. It wasn't over the top. 

I agree, absolute joke to get a demerit point for that.

Pope looks like a quality player, great to see.

25 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Rabada's ban is a joke. He'd just knocked back the off stump of the opposing captain and showed some emotion. It wasn't over the top. 

His card was marked because of the other stuff he did against Australia and in the last test, where he didn't get a warning. Michael Holding put it in perspective, comparing it to points on a driving licence. I think if Rabada had been less of a twat previously then this incident wouldn't have been a demerit. 

Pope, Crawley and Sibley getting into the side is what a lot of us wanted to see last summer. Bit of a cliche but England seem energised, having the young lads, and it's great to see the enthusiasm and the lads obviously enjoying their cricket.

I hope Bairstow doesn't get selected, he's a moody bastard and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Ben Foakes will hopefully be the next one. He's in his mid 20s, so that's  good going forward. Just need to address the minor matter of replacing Anderson and Broad in the next couple of years.

Guest Pistonbroke

Overcast conditions but it looks like they dropped a different wicket in overnight, ball doing much more this morning. Two early wickets and the Nightwatchman from last night is still at the crease. Bess with all 4 wickets so far. Elgar and Du Plessis the batsmen out. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Weather is going to fuck this test up by the looks of things. Mind you, SA could easily fail to reach the follow on total so you never know, probably only need another 5-6 sessions to bowl them out twice if the overcast conditions stay and the pitch deteriorates. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Got up 40 minutes later than planned and SA are following on having been bowled out this morning for 209. Nice to see us mop up the tail quickly for a change. It seems that everything has come together for this and the last test.