You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

He was ill but wanted to keep working. Think end came faster than expected. 

Thanks for the info mate. He was a great bowler in his heyday, also one of those commentators/pundits who didn't pull any punches in his analysis of the performances. The miserable bit was just his trait, but he also had a sense of humour. 

Sad news remember begging .my mum to stay off for the afternoon from school in 81 for the famous Willis/Botham test. That 8-43is one of the all time greatest bowling performances 

Great bowler and an old school fast bowler none of that throwing yourself around the field trying to stop boundaries nonsense .

33 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Sad news remember begging .my mum to stay off for the afternoon from school in 81 for the famous Willis/Botham test. That 8-43is one of the all time greatest bowling performances 

Great bowler and an old school fast bowler none of that throwing yourself around the field trying to stop boundaries nonsense .

I think I must have been ill as I managed to catch both Botham and Dilley's fightback, then the carnage the next day. Damn shame, I always liked him, his run up and action were absolutely iconic.

Gutted.

I sadly missed out on him playing as I'm younger (not that much) than some of you, but have seen watched his devastating bowling spells, particularly the '81 Ashes.

Watched him and grown to love him as a pundit/commentator where his sledge hammer sense of humour and no holds barred points of view has been boss.

True legend, sporting great and such a lovely guy.

Will be missed.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I think I must have been ill as I managed to catch both Botham and Dilley's fightback, then the carnage the next day. Damn shame, I always liked him, his run up and action were absolutely iconic.

Day five of that test was on the Tuesday. But I remember seeing Botham and Dilley as that was late on the Monday 

17 hours ago, Stickman said:

I had just finished my exams so had a longer than usual summer holiday so watched it all. Great memories.

15 hours ago, Stickman said:

Day five of that test was on the Tuesday. But I remember seeing Botham and Dilley as that was late on the Monday 

Yeah, I'm not sure if I was off school on the Monday, or just caught the fireworks when I got home. I was definitely off on the Tuesday though, so I'm guessing I pulled a sickie to watch it...

My God, can't believe I just happened on this here, now.

Willis was a great competitor and over 300 wickets at 25, second only to Lillee at the time, is testimony to his elite status... and this in an era ('70-'84) when most international top orders could bat well, home and away, and not just on roads.

RIP.

On the subject of fast bowling, a Sheffield Shield match was abandoned at the MCG yesterday - due to balls repeatedly hitting players on the helmet off a good length.  Bit of a pitch crisis with the Boxing Day test v NZ less than 3 weeks away.

• 3 weeks later...