You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

So I noticed, no play at Durham today, so you are as good as promoted now. Congrats mate. 

First time in 14 years - they decimated the playing budget to pay for the new pavilion and ground improvements. 

It’s been a long time paying it off and the squad has been underfunded during that time. 

I reckon next season we’ll get a lot of bummings and come straight back down without serious investment in the squad. 

Guest Pistonbroke
18 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

First time in 14 years - they decimated the playing budget to pay for the new pavilion and ground improvements. 

It’s been a long time paying it off and the squad has been underfunded during that time. 

I reckon next season we’ll get a lot of bummings and come straight back down without serious investment in the squad. 

You never know mate, a lot of the teams in Division one miss players who are on England contracts. You should be able to attract a better overseas contingent due to promotion as well. 

58 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

You never know mate, a lot of the teams in Division one miss players who are on England contracts. You should be able to attract a better overseas contingent due to promotion as well. 

There'll be improvements to the squad I’m sure but the finances aren’t there to make the kind of investment they’d need to stay up in my opinion. 

I could see them maybe going down the one day route again though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

There'll be improvements to the squad I’m sure but the finances aren’t there to make the kind of investment they’d need to stay up in my opinion. 

I could see them maybe going down the one day route again though. 

At least you'll be in division 1. Well I say that, but don't put it past Durham and Glamorgan to start forfeiting innings in an attempt to force a result. Mind you, a draw will suffice for you and with only one day left it really is in the bag. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

I see Chris Silverwood has been appointed head coach of England ahead of Gary Kirsten. Alec Stewart pulled out at the final interview due to the demands of the schedule. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Done well with Essex but pretty new to coaching , looks like a  ' Don't rock the boat ' sort of installation. 

Not sure how Ashley Giles has wormed his way to the top with England.

Giles was the one waxing lyrical about Silverwood, so probably a bowlers fraternity appointment. He did do well with Essex but has actually been working with England for the last 18 months, so it is very much a promotion from within. Lets hope they let him do his job without butting in. I have a feeling it is the candidate Giles wanted. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I see India who are already 1-0 up in the Series against SA made 601/5 declared in the first innings of the second test. In reply SA are 2/1. 

India are fucking miles ahead of the rest in Test Match Cricket. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s obviously because of all that T20 they’re playing over there. 

*runs away from thread*

They have World Class players who can manage both codes and their Test Team doesn't rely on the same players as the T20, ODI teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Hundred draft is, erm, exhilarating TV. 

Who doesn’t want to see County Championship players lounging around on couches and Shane Warne chewing a pen whilst pretending to look serious? 

Yeah I tried to watch some of that and it was awful, Nasser tried his hardest to talk it up bless him, but no one wanted to be there, Jofra Archer especially.

The contrived excitement and banter was not at all like sticking razor blades up your shitpipe whilst getting kicked in the balls with winkle pickers

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

First T20 between NZ and England starts in 10 minutes. Stayed up to watch this but too knackerd now. 

Anyway, Eng won the toss and have decided to bowl. Interesting to see Malan back in the fold. Also debuts for Pat Brown and Lewis Gregory. Sam Curran also plays in his first T20 game but has been capped. 

Guest Pistonbroke

England just thrashed NZ at Napier to level the T20 series at 2-2 with one final match to go in Auckland. Really good performance from Malan and then Morgan had one of those innings where he just hit the ball all over the park. England also bowled very well, especially the young Leg Spinner Parkinson. 

Guest Pistonbroke

NZ must be pissed off at the super over. Only watched highlights as it was delayed by rain and I couldn't be arsed staying up all night to watch a T20 (should have been another day/night game). Jordan was excellent again in the super over he bowled.