You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Fuming at Lancashire in the QF in the T20 Blast.

Posted a decent total & after Essex started well , dragged themselves back into it with Essex needing 33 from 3 overs with Franklin to bowl 2 of them. Then Vilas decides ( with loads of options ) to bowl Livingstone in the 19th over after he had previously bowled one of the worst overs I have ever seen in professional cricket & surprisingly he went for 22 to Ravi ( Fucking ) Bopara.

10 hours ago, skaro said:

Yes, it's an interesting nuance to bring into a conversation about a Test cricketer's career - where his parents took him to live when he was 10.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek because of the multitudes of Saffers England have had in the team in recent years.

I would institute an accent rule myself, if you sound like you come from the country you play for them. So Andrew Strauss could play for England, Kevin Pieterson, no.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

It will be interesting to see what happens, although you are struggling for openers like ourselves. I doubt he'll lose his spot, especially if you go on to win/retain the Ashes. 

His year out of the game has coincided with a natural decline - like an ageing fast bowler, he's "lost a yard"... which is especially telling I reckon when you're a hand/eye batsman rather than a technically correct one.

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

Fuming at Lancashire in the QF in the T20 Blast.

Posted a decent total & after Essex started well , dragged themselves back into it with Essex needing 33 from 3 overs with Franklin to bowl 2 of them. Then Vilas decides ( with loads of options ) to bowl Livingstone in the 19th over after he had previously bowled one of the worst overs I have ever seen in professional cricket & surprisingly he went for 22 to Ravi ( Fucking ) Bopara.

Absolutely fucking awful decision. I was livid with that too. 

Mahmood 0-10 off 2 overs looking on. 

What a shit show. 

What’s the weather doing Saturday, @Brownie?

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
6 hours ago, skaro said:

His year out of the game has coincided with a natural decline - like an ageing fast bowler, he's "lost a yard"... which is especially telling I reckon when you're a hand/eye batsman rather than a technically correct one.

I reckon it's a mixture of that and him trying to shove the England fans boos down their throats and trying too hard. Like I've already said, I doubt he'll lose his spot if you win or retain the Ashes. He could be in last chance saloon if he doesn't perform at home in your next Test series against Pakistan though, especially as you play New Zealand at home after them. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I reckon it's a mixture of that and him trying to shove the England fans boos down their throats and trying too hard. Like I've already said, I doubt he'll lose his spot if you win or retain the Ashes. He could be in last chance saloon if he doesn't perform at home in your next Test series against Pakistan though, especially as you play New Zealand at home after them. 

If this were the case you'd think he'd be considerably more aggressive. Play his normal game basically. He's been really tentative at the crease.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If this were the case you'd think he'd be considerably more aggressive. Play his normal game basically. He's been really tentative at the crease.

He's out of nick due to the ban mate, as Skaro explained. He's certainly been aggressive in all other areas of his game, just look at how he celebrates taking a catch for example. I bet he's smarting big time on the batting front though, every cheap knock is greeted by a crescendo of Boos and his face tells the story.  

31 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

By the same token... given it's NZ (no disrespect, world No2) and Pakistan... no one in Oz will give a fuck if an old, used square peg needs to be jettisoned.

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, skaro said:

By the same token... given it's NZ (no disrespect, world No2) and Pakistan... no one in Oz will give a fuck if an old, used square peg needs to be jettisoned.

True, but who is coming through the ranks to replace him mate? Your Opening batsman issues are every bit as bad as our own, one failure after another at the moment. I'm guessing your selectors will want at least one seasoned batsman opening, plus being as it is on wickets Warner is used to he'll probably stave off execution for a while. If you lose the Ashes however, they may be forced to make sweeping changes. Even then, they could move Warner down the order to replace Head or Wade. 

6 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

He's out of nick due to the ban mate, as Skaro explained. He's certainly been aggressive in all other areas of his game, just look at how he celebrates taking a catch for example. I bet he's smarting big time on the batting front though, every cheap knock is greeted by a crescendo of Boos and his face tells the story.  

I know he's out of nick, it's just strange that he hasn't decided to hit his way back in to form. That's how he normally plays after all. It's what made him one of the best batsmen around. 

He shouldn't be getting out tentatively nicking off when he's made a late decision to leave a ball.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I know he's out of nick, it's just strange that he hasn't decided to hit his way back in to form. That's how he normally plays after all. It's what made him one of the best batsmen around. 

He shouldn't be getting out tentatively nicking off when he's made a late decision to leave a ball.

Probably caught between two minds. We have seen the aggressive approach in previous tests but it failed. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Let's get into these now!

I'm off out with the dog now, and I nearly always miss a wicket or two. So here's hoping. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

True, but who is coming through the ranks to replace him mate? Your Opening batsman issues are every bit as bad as our own, one failure after another at the moment. I'm guessing your selectors will want at least one seasoned batsman opening, plus being as it is on wickets Warner is used to he'll probably stave off execution for a while. If you lose the Ashes however, they may be forced to make sweeping changes. Even then, they could move Warner down the order to replace Head or Wade. 

It seems a million years since Warner played for Australia BEFORE he'd even played a first-class game for New South Wales.

Guest Pistonbroke
16 minutes ago, skaro said:

It seems a million years since Warner played for Australia BEFORE he'd even played a first-class game for New South Wales.

What is being said about the situation back in Oz, J? Who is coming through as a possible opener apart from those they have tried of late. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

They just said on the radio, that England haven't bowled a single ball at Steve Smith from around the stumps. That seems a bit mad to me!

Overton is now going at Smith from around the Stumps.