You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It looks like there will be play, but it will be limited. The weather rarely shows >50% chance of rain, so we could get lucky and get no rain at all.

Just have to wait and see, the forecast I use says 90% chance of rain. The long term forecast for London (5th test) looks promising. I wouldn't be surprised if Old Trafford didn't produce a result and the Ashes was decided on the last test. Like you say though, we could get enough play in to force a result, especially the way both line ups bat. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Overton has replaced Woakes

Not sure about this, his Test stats when he was picked in 2017/2018 a pretty ordinary. Probably in due to his batting more than anything, because he's just medium fast with the ball. On a fast wicket you'd have thought Stone would have been the better bet if you want to take wickets. Plus if you wanted an all rounder then surely Sam Curran is a better bet than Stone. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think Woakes has been carrying injuries. I'm not sure about the replacement, but I am not well up on Stone or Overton.

He's looked tired, not sure about carrying injuries though. Root has also underused him in the previous tests. 

The bowling attack has done well all things considered, It's the batting that has been the problem. Yet they just shuffle the order and change the bowling attack. If Woakes is tired then fair enough, although I'd have used the pace of Stone ahead of Overton. 

They could have replaced Butler with Foakes or Curran, obviously with Foakes that would leave Bairstow to concentrate on batting.  Or, they could have replaced Roy with Curran, who is also a half decent bowler. 

I'd love to know if Root had a big say in things or not, because as a captain he's pretty naff. The batsmen can count their blessings though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I can understand sticking with Buttler. He's an incredible talent and I do think he'll push through this poor form. 

Woakes has been carrying injuries according to several of the pundits on Sky. 

Like I said, fair enough if Woakes is injured. 

Not sure about Butler, he's certainly out of nick, although he certainly isn't the only one.  He looks way better at the limited overs game of late, especially ODI's. Having said that, he bats middle order, so averaging over 32 isn't bad. I just don't think you can have both Butler and Bairstow in that middle order ATM, if Stokes doesn't perform we look fucked. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It’s unfortunate that both Bairstow and Butler are horribly out of nick at the same time, decent knock from Bairstow in the last innings though.

At the end of the day I suppose winning the Ashes is the most important thing atm, so if things work out they can pat themselves on the back. It will only paper over the cracks for future Tests though. The batting has been weak since Cook retired and Root took over the captaincy. Having said that, if they lose the Ashes then both Captain and Selectors will come in for a lot of grief, and rightly so. 

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

At the end of the day I suppose winning the Ashes is the most important thing atm, so if things work out they can pat themselves on the back. It will only paper over the cracks for future Tests though. The batting has been weak since Strauss retired and Root took over the captaincy. Having said that, if they lose the Ashes then both Captain and Selectors will come in for a lot of grief, and rightly so. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

It’ll be Stokes next

I don't think I'd give it to Stokes. He has enough on his plate with Bowling and being our best middle oder batsman. 

Broad could do a decent job imo, just need to reel him in on his over enthusiastic appeals as we'd spunk our reviews far too often, although we don't do well under Root atm. To be fair, like many others a few years ago I thought Root would make a good captain, he's been pretty shit though. 

10 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

BTW, most media reports I've read have said Woakes has been dropped and mention nothing about injury. 

Carrying injuries is not the same as being out injured. He could have played, I'm sure.

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I do find it strange that selectors consistently pick the best player as captain time and again, it’s such a strange process to employ, did we learn nothing from Brearley.

They are the most guaranteed their place, but yes, I agree.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

I meant our batting has been fragile since Strauss retired. 

We've never found an opener to replace him and since Cook has retired we now need to find two openers. 

With you now. I was on about the overall batting though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Strauss was a good captain tbf , remember Flintoffs stint?..... Ouch!

Strauss and Cook had very similar stats as Captain. Think Cook captained England for more Tests though. 

The stats will never prove much, for me. The sample size is always far too small.

Strauss was a marginally better captain than Cook.

The truth is though that most captains for the last 15 years or so have just been relaying information from a computer. Hence looking utterly clueless when things don't go to plan.