You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

Stokes has given Root and the selectors a get out of jail free card, it will be interesting to see how they use it at Old Trafford. Do they go with their tried and failed set up or do they address the obvious failings. Anderson should be fit enough, plus OT is his home ground and according to the long term weather forecast their will be a lot of cloud about and showers. Woakes will probably be the one to miss out. Denly got a timely 50 so he's probably safe, plus Bairstow had an important knock. This experiment with Roy opening the batting surely has to be shelved and Buttler is way out of nick. Sibley opening with Burns, I'd honestly try Stokes at 3 instead of Root who performs better at number 4. Unless we get off to a decent start and see the new ball off, then Root could carry on at 3. Foakes in to keep? Play Bairstow as a middle order batsman and drop Buttler. Quite a few shouts for Ollie Pope to make a return as well. 

25 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Stokes has given Root and the selectors a get out of jail free card, it will be interesting to see how they use it at Old Trafford. Do they go with their tried and failed set up or do they address the obvious failings. Anderson should be fit enough, plus OT is his home ground and according to the long term weather forecast their will be a lot of cloud about and showers. Woakes will probably be the one to miss out. Denly got a timely 50 so he's probably safe, plus Bairstow had an important knock. This experiment with Roy opening the batting surely has to be shelved and Buttler is way out of nick. Sibley opening with Burns, I'd honestly try Stokes at 3 instead of Root who performs better at number 4. Unless we get off to a decent start and see the new ball off, then Root could carry on at 3. Foakes in to keep? Play Bairstow as a middle order batsman and drop Buttler. Quite a few shouts for Ollie Pope to make a return as well. 

Yes, after an epic win the first thing you do is make wholesale changes and move the guy who’s won the game.  

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Moving Stokes is probably not the best idea but ringing the changes should definitely be considered. Let’s not pretend we haven’t been shite with the bat all the way through the series. We’ve won one match, now let’s go and win the ashes. 

We need to find a number three who is up to it. Stokes imo is the type of batsman who can fill that role, plus he is full of confidence. Plus two changes in Roy and Buttler making way for Sibley and Foakes is hardly wholesale changes. The Anderson for Woakes one will happen if Anderson is fit enough. 

19 minutes ago, skaro said:

England should take advantage of the momentum - and the Stokes miracle - and get their team right. 

2 changes max and don’t move stokes. If he’s needed to bowl he needs rest.  If he bats a long time, he needs rest. Archer already had cramp issues and has played 2 tests. 

I'd persevere with Roy, but maybe not as a starter, dropping him in to the pressure of opening the order in the Ashes just isn't the right place for him to adjust to test cricket.  Drop Buttler (can't see him ever being anything but a gamble in test cricket) for a real starter and put Roy in at three.  

Both Roy and Buttler are talented, destructive batsmen when in form and it would be a shame to drop them both, though neither could complain. Foakes deserves a chance, he played well when called upon. Number 3 doesn't seem to suit anyone, so I foresee Root staying there for the time being. 

I foresee:

Burns

Sibley

Root

Denly

Stokes

Bairstow

One of Buttler/Roy/Foakes (think Buttler would be most likely of the 3)

Archer

Broad

Leach

Anderson

Although Woakes didn't have the best Test, he has been a pretty reliable and consistent bowler for England and would be a tad unlucky to be dropped. Nice to see some strong competition for bowling spots, Curran has also proved to be a good performer. 

Guest Pistonbroke

If fit then Anderson has to play on his home ground. As you say, unlucky for Woakes who had a bad test but has overall been good in the bowling attack. In that department we look fine and it is always nice to have options. If Woods could stay fit for more than a few matches it would be even better. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

If fit then Anderson has to play on his home ground. As you say, unlucky for Woakes who had a bad test but has overall been good in the bowling attack. In that department we look fine and it is always nice to have options. If Woods could stay fit for more than a few matches it would be even better. 

As I said earlier in the thread, it's a terrific prospect of seeing 2 English 90+ mph bowlers in tandem. When they need a rest, it's Broad and Anderson taking over! 

Leach is OK but it'd be amazing to see a world class spinner in that attack as well. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

As I said earlier in the thread, it's a terrific prospect of seeing 2 English 90+ mph bowlers in tandem. When they need a rest, it's Broad and Anderson taking over! 

Leach is OK but it'd be amazing to see a world class spinner in that attack as well. 

Finding a World class spinner would be very handy, especially when playing away from English conditions. There doesn't seem to be any natural talent coming through though. Obviously Ali could still fill that role if he sorts his head out. 

It's just a shame that Stokes heroics wasn't a series winning innings. While yesterday was sensational, chances are it could end up being the equivalent of a consolation goal.

I really hope there's a group of people sitting down in a locked room today discussing that fucking horror show that was the first innings. And how for some it seemed like they'd learnt nothing by it which seen us in the position we ended up in yesterday. I'm glad that some of the ex pros have had the sense to call it by saying it's papered over the cracks.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Aussies react to this but I think they'll be the ones who are looking forward to the next test more. 

Was supposed to be going on Thursday but we're not allowed to take holidays in September so chances are I'll be joining you lot in here.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

We need to find a number three who is up to it. Stokes imo is the type of batsman who can fill that role, plus he is full of confidence. Plus two changes in Roy and Buttler making way for Sibley and Foakes is hardly wholesale changes. The Anderson for Woakes one will happen if Anderson is fit enough. 

If it wasn't for the fact he carries a big portion of the bowling attack I would agree. After a long stint in the field a bit much to ask him to bat 3 . He's settled in the middle order and I wouldn't tinker with that. I think Root stays where he is and Roy gets dropped. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

It's just a shame that Stokes heroics wasn't a series winning innings. While yesterday was sensational, chances are it could end up being the equivalent of a consolation goal.

I really hope there's a group of people sitting down in a locked room today discussing that fucking horror show that was the first innings. And how for some it seemed like they'd learnt nothing by it which seen us in the position we ended up in yesterday. I'm glad that some of the ex pros have had the sense to call it by saying it's papered over the cracks.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Aussies react to this but I think they'll be the ones who are looking forward to the next test more. 

Was supposed to be going on Thursday but we're not allowed to take holidays in September so chances are I'll be joining you lot in here.

Botham's wasn't a Series winning innings at Headingley in 1981 either.

But he was Man of the Match in the next two Tests as well.

I think Australia are cooked.

Smith is a colossus and a given, but who knows what a hit to the head at 95mph can do.

I think how Labuschargne goes at No 3 (Khawaja must be dropped) and, actually, introducing Mitchell Starc for the last two Tests are the vestiges of hope.

I think Paine's tenure as captain is shot.

We need to bat better, because our bowlers confidence would have taken a massive hit going from 67 to not defending 350.

Stokes - and Archer back to 95mph, with Broad and Anderson - will do it for England I think.

Comfortably.

Guest Pistonbroke

Root had a decent innings at 3 for a change before throwing his wicket away, so maybe. I just don't see him as a long term solution as a number 3. Like I said, it all depends on us losing an early wicket or getting off to a decent start. I also get the fact that Stokes needs a rest after bowling, but normally he isn't used as much as he was in the last test. Plus you also have to factor in when the days play ends and the situation in the match, who bats first. I'm not saying Stokes would be a long term solution either, just that I reckon he could do well in that role in an important match which is coming up. Regardless of how the Ashes pans out we need to sort the batting problems out, but for a few Tests you can look to short term solutions. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, skaro said:

Botham's wasn't a Series winning innings at Headingley in 1981 either.

But he was Man of the Match in the next two Tests as well.

I think Australia are cooked.

Smith is a colossus and a given, but who knows what a hit to the head at 95mph can do.

I think how Labuschargne goes at No 3 (Khawaja must be dropped) and, actually, introducing Mitchell Starc for the last two Tests are the vestiges of hope.

I think Paine's tenure as captain is shot.

We need to bat better, because our bowlers confidence would have taken a massive hit going from 67 to not defending 350.

Stokes - and Archer back to 95mph, with Broad and Anderson - will do it for England I think.

Comfortably.

I know Australia are rotating their seam attack, but what is the story with Starc,J? They haven't used him at all yet. 

12 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I know Australia are rotating their seam attack, but what is the story with Starc,J? They haven't used him at all yet. 

I think he was just part of the rotation... and because Patterson missed Lords... I think they thought they could roll the dice with him again.

They almost got away with it.  In retrospect, might Starc have got that last wicket? 

But at 9/287, who needed Starc?

I think he's a must for the last 2 Tests.  Australia must bring him in, because the scars of that last innings will mandate change.

He brings an X factor.  It could completely backfire and probably will, but I think it's a must.