You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

27 minutes ago, Remmie said:

How's Jofra bowled today? I noticed no wickets but heard he nearly brushed the edge a couple times?

Root's been bowling Jofra into the ground and he's knackered. Root needs to go as captain, he's a poor captain all round as is his batting and catching at the moment. It would be nice to have an English batsman with a brain rather than just attempting to drive at everything. Do they realise they don't have to thump every ball?

32 minutes ago, Remmie said:

How's Jofra bowled today? I noticed no wickets but heard he nearly brushed the edge a couple times?

25 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Not particularly well.

He looked shattered in the afternoon when i was watching. Not much time off between innings and close test matches for a guy just starting test cricket. Still hes not getting knocked around though

Guest Pistonbroke

If you want to know what is ruining Cricket at the moment then look no further than the T 20 Vitality Blast. 

Moeen Ali was playing for Worcestershire tonight. His bowling: 3 overs, 1 for 30, yes that is 10 an over. He scored 85 with the bat off 46 balls in a match winning knock. 

That shit needs fucking off as far as Test match players are concerned, but money talks. 

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

If you want to know what is ruining Cricket at the moment then look no further than the T 20 Vitality Blast. 

Moeen Ali was playing for Worcestershire tonight. His bowling: 3 overs, 1 for 30, yes that is 10 an over. He scored 85 with the bat off 46 balls in a match winning knock. 

That shit needs fucking off as far as Test match players are concerned, but money talks. 

Also, I think England thought the job was done with the World Cup.

To value that over an Ashes series... well, again, we're talking about the questionable priority of limited overs.

I'm very surprised by the the way this series is going.

I didn't think Smith would be quite as amazing.

I didn't think he'd be replaced by a no-name who'd go past fifty each time... that's 2 hundreds and 4 fifties from Australian No4s in 6 digs.

And I didn't think Hazlewood, for example, would have had such a superb performance in him.

I don't like the cheats - and I don't think they've necessarily been forgiven down here, G, no - but I think the performance of the team is winning over even the grumpiest of cynics - like me... who before the series started were expecting and even perhaps content to see us getting our arses kicked.

Seeing Wade picked - even though he's been a bit hit and miss - was a good sign for me, because it was a form over favour selection, which is rare.

So even with disagreeable sorts like Warner around, the sheen of doing well in the Ashes tends to make me tolerant, if not forgiving.

Mind you, these are two untrustworthy sides.  And Headingley is a wonderful, crazy place.  A much better Australian side than this one conceded over 300 here to lose - against Butcher!  Something crazy can easily happen somewhere along the line.  Who knows, maybe that England 350 you were talking about will come out of nowhere in their 2nd innings.

Probably not, but anyhow...

I'm not up with county cricket but there needs to be a major overhaul of the way it's set up the fact there are no championship matches between 13th July to August 18th is shocking how are any of those batsmen meant to get time in the middle during a series when they get no competitive time batting?

I think I read that Joe Root has played only two championship games whereas Labuschagne has played 10 admittedly in the 2nd division but at least it's competitive time in the middle which shows when you see him bat.

I get it's down to the ECB when a player is contracted so they choose when he plays and with the bowlers I get it they are more likely to be injured  but they aren't the problem it's always the batsmen with shit technique who don't play enough competitive red ball cricket. 

I know it's all about money for them but I'd rather be watching a great test side than a great hit and run one... Or maybe there's no reason to not have both

Guest Pistonbroke
9 hours ago, skaro said:

Also, I think England thought the job was done with the World Cup.

To value that over an Ashes series... well, again, we're talking about the questionable priority of limited overs.

I'm very surprised by the the way this series is going.

I didn't think Smith would be quite as amazing.

I didn't think he'd be replaced by a no-name who'd go past fifty each time... that's 2 hundreds and 4 fifties from Australian No4s in 6 digs.

And I didn't think Hazlewood, for example, would have had such a superb performance in him.

I don't like the cheats - and I don't think they've necessarily been forgiven down here, G, no - but I think the performance of the team is winning over even the grumpiest of cynics - like me... who before the series started were expecting and even perhaps content to see us getting our arses kicked.

Seeing Wade picked - even though he's been a bit hit and miss - was a good sign for me, because it was a form over favour selection, which is rare.

So even with disagreeable sorts like Warner around, the sheen of doing well in the Ashes tends to make me tolerant, if not forgiving.

Mind you, these are two untrustworthy sides.  And Headingley is a wonderful, crazy place.  A much better Australian side than this one conceded over 300 here to lose - against Butcher!  Something crazy can easily happen somewhere along the line.  Who knows, maybe that England 350 you were talking about will come out of nowhere in their 2nd innings.

Probably not, but anyhow...

No doubting that you bowled well yesterday, exceptionally well. However, I think our top orders lack of a Test cricket brain have made you look a lot better than you actually are. Your own batting order is feeble, Smith apart. Although that Labuschangne looks like a real old fashioned Test cricketer. Your bowling is in general OK, but better test batsmen won't give their wicket away so cheaply. I'd say we have bigger problems at present, your lot might gain a lot of confidence from this Ashes series, so who knows how you will perform against Pakistan and NZ later in the year. Despite the fact the Ashes has more or less gone, you watch the smile on the likes of Root/Roy/Bairstow/Buttler face when the shorter games are played, it will be like the Ashes loss didn't really matter. It seems the fans are hurting way more than the players who are sat on healthy ECB contracts. Will the ECB have the balls to make the obvious changes though? 

We tour NZ over the winter, lots of players will want that gig. 5 T20 matches and just 2 Test matches....sums up the shit state of the game at the moment. We follow that up with a 4 test match series in South Africa with three ODI's and three T20's thrown in after it. Painful times ahead if the ECB don't act. 

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

I'm not up with county cricket but there needs to be a major overhaul of the way it's set up the fact there are no championship matches between 13th July to August 18th is shocking how are any of those batsmen meant to get time in the middle during a series when they get no competitive time batting?

I think I read that Joe Root has played only two championship games whereas Labuschagne has played 10 admittedly in the 2nd division but at least it's competitive time in the middle which shows when you see him bat.

I get it's down to the ECB when a player is contracted so they choose when he plays and with the bowlers I get it they are more likely to be injured  but they aren't the problem it's always the batsmen with shit technique who don't play enough competitive red ball cricket. 

I know it's all about money for them but I'd rather be watching a great test side than a great hit and run one... Or maybe there's no reason to not have both

Is there really a huge disparity between the leagues?

That said, playing a three day minor counties game or a county second eleven game would be better preparation than playing in the IPL or the like.