You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, skaro said:

England's obsession with World Cup success is having a price at Test level.

Seems so. Buttler and Bairstow seem to have lost whatever was working for them at test level, we have gone from having one of the best mid order team in test cricket to the worst. Could struggle to get 200 now. We can't sfford to lose this test as that would become mission impossible, no way will the English weather not rain off one of the remaining three test matches with us having to win all three. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Buttler needs to go too, where re our batsmen in County Cricket?

Playing against shit opposition, that's if this T20 bollocks doesn't take up a major part of the actual summer months. The first class Championship starts off way too early to accommodate the shorter games, many games being ruined by the weather, then it starts again after the best weather has been and gone and the same thing happens. No wonder we are struggling to find decent batsmen. 

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Seems so. Buttler and Bairstow seem to have lost whatever was working for them at test level, we have gone from having one of the best mid order team in test cricket to the worst. Could struggle to get 200 now. We can't sfford to lose this test as that would become mission impossible, no way will the English weather not rain off one of the remaining three test matches with us having to win all three. 

I remember one English commentator during the World Cup, I can't remember who, saying that the clear consensus among the England camp was that, of the two, they'd rather win the World Cup than the Ashes.

Strange.  Bit like wanting to win the Europa League than the League title I reckon.

Whatever the case, Australia subsequently seem far more assured in this form than England, very surprisingly for me.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, skaro said:

I remember one English commentator during the World Cup, I can't remember who, saying that the clear consensus among the England camp was that, of the two, they'd rather win the World Cup than the Ashes.

Strange.  Bit like wanting to win the Europa League than the League title I reckon.

Whatever the case, Australia seem far more assured in this form than England, very surprisingly for me.

I'm gurssing there is more money to be had in the shorter game. Championship cricket in England and wales has been dying a slow death since the introduction of T20. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm gurssing there is more money to be had in the shorter game. Championship cricket in England and wales has been dying a slow death since the introduction of T20. 

Not surprised, I guess, if people are paying 30-large to watch a poxy Home Counties T20.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

Not surprised, I guess, if people are paying 30-large to watch a poxy Home Counties T20.

Yeah, to packed stadia as well. The Championship gets meagre crowds in comparison and has hardly any TV coverage. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, skaro said:

Barstow could be perfect for this situation.

You are just trying to put the mockers on him mate. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

In fairness, I was backing him in the World Cup for scores.

Totally different ball game.......although I am hoping he gets an innings here, he owes us big time at this form of the game. 

Doc appointment now, so I'll have to follow via the BBC live score until I'm back. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Went with the dog earlier and we didn't lose a wicket, been to the docs and back and the same. Fuck it, time to go with the dog again.....