You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Must be great fun for the bowlers here.

Root handing you a field with everyone on the boundary. It's real genius level captaincy.

I reckon he doesn't want to bat today now. New ball available soon, doubt he'll take it. That's 150 runs they have put on with their final two partnerships. 

I’ll have to bow down to everyone else's superior knowledge regarding the field to Smith towards the end, because I can see why Root was doing that.

Smith hadn’t shown any signs of nicking off, he was seeing the ball like a footy and was just trying to hit sixes. Why would you have the field up to that?

Guest Pistonbroke

Taking the piss playing T20 cricket now. I fucking hate that smug cheating prick, Smith. Only ourselves to blame mind, not hostile enough when we had them 8 down for 122. Aussies also lost 2 wickets to LBW which weren't out if they had reviewed. Got him now, Broad gets his 5 for and his 100th test wicket against Australia. 

Over to our batsmen. I'd send in two night watchmen to take the piss, and get them to tie shoelaces and complain about things by stepping away from deliveries. Probably have to face 2 or 3 overs. Seriously, I'd send in one night watchman in and hold Roy back.  

Guest Pistonbroke

Aussies day due to Smith's excellent innings and the injury to Anderson. Could have been so much better for England, but shit happens, you just have to dig in. Still think we can somehow take a lead into the second innings, need a good opening partnership mind and one Batsman to make a 100. Be shite trying to bowl them out again with a bowler short, even more so if we don't get a lead. Set up nicely though. Gonna miss the first session tomorrow, damn. Thought Smith was going to cry at the end, the tosser. Hope he slips in the shower. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Can't believe we haven't sent in a NW with only a few overs to face. Hopefully it doesn't bite us in the arse. 

Tough call to have to make. We could have quite easily reopened the innings tomorrow two down. Thankfully now it's over for the day. Things could have been a lot worse.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Tought call to have to make. We could have quite easily reopened the inning tomorrow two down. Thankfully now it's over for the day. Things could have been a lot worse.

In the big scheme of things 284 is not a great first innings total, just seems that way due to where we had them. The Aussies will feel a lot better mind, but that could soon change if we bat well. A bit worrying that we'll be a bowler down to get them all out again though. Maybe's the injury news on Anderson will be positive, just have to wait and see. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah no point having a night-watchman for 2 overs. 5/10 yes defo but no need there. 

Cant believe they have managed that score though the Aussies. Fuckers. 

It is normal to put in a NW facing a few overs before end of play, not 5 or 10 mate. All worked out well though. 

Smith's innings was frustrating but he is an exceptional batsman. A cheat, but an exceptional player. It isn't a clear cut "Australia's Day" because even though the advantage was with England at 8 down, Siddle was always going to hang around because that's what he does and Smith went into T20 mode when he was with Lyon. Bowling a test team out isn't always easy. 

For me it is still a batting pitch and if Roy gets in, I think he could get a big score tomorrow. England could as easily hit 350 as they could 150. It really is a close call as to whose day it was - yes Australia got off the hook, but at the same time they won the toss and when you do that, you want a minimum of 350 on the board. This time tomorrow we'll know whether 280 odd is a good score.

Never been his biggest fan, but an exceptional innings in the circumstances. Obviously, Anderson out injured helps, but 8/122 is a precarious position regardless. The game is evenly poised right now, though how England bat today will be crucial. 

I'll be surprised if Anderson gets up again until at least the 4th Test too, given it's a calf injury and his age. Luckily, England have Archer waiting in the wings. A different type of bowler, but a challenge for the Aussies nonetheless. 

• Like 1