You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Seemed a very odd way of deciding the final to be fair , but I have read the main 3 other options discussed were run rate in the tournament, number of wins in the tournament and position in the original table , and England would have won on all of those.

If there is any justice, Williamson will win Overseas Sportsman of the Year.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Seemed a very odd way of deciding the final to be fair , but I have read the main 3 other options discussed were run rate in the tournament, number of wins in the tournament and position in the original table , and England would have won on all of those.

If there is any justice, Williamson will win Overseas Sportsman of the Year.

I'm not sure he'll give a shit about that when it's compared to possibly being part of a world champion winning team. 

The rules are just fucked up. It should just simply be a case that in the event of the scores being tied, the team who loses the fewest wickets is the winner. If both teams have lost the same wickets, then it should go to a run comparison at the 25 over point.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/england-star-ben-stokes-extraordinary-umpire-revelation-after-bat-of-god-storm/news-story/c46107e28e47c608c95a99132609c3ab

Fair play to him. He strikes me as a bit of a hothead, but still likes to play the game hard but fair. Any issue with this situation lies squarely with the umpires and administrators, not the players. 

It was obviously very unfortunate for the Kiwis but everyone knew the rules beforehand.

And you can argue a few things in Englands favour as tie-breakers; England got more points and finished higher in the group stage. England battered NZ in the group stage. In the super over England didn’t lose a wicket whereas NZ did (to counter the argument about wickets lost at the end of 50 overs - i’m glad that’s not the rule anymore, I always hated it).

NZ were just plain unlucky in how England got their runs towards the end of the 50 overs but overall I think the best team won the tournament.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

My Timehop has just reminded me of the time I batted 27 overs for 7 runs (4 of them an edge through the slips).  Proper cricket.  It was against a horrid side from Dinting (the Mordor of Derbyshire). 

Like Monty Panesar in Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

My Timehop has just reminded me of the time I batted 27 overs for 7 runs (4 of them an edge through the slips).  Proper cricket.  It was against a horrid side from Dinting (the Mordor of Derbyshire). 

Ha! The day after my 25th birthday party, I opened in a one-day game and made a duck over an hour. Then bowling later, after 2x terrible wicket balls, the hat trick ball was skied to mid-on where there was no fielder. I turned to run back for the catch and crashed into the stumps and ended up star-fished on the ground. Mid-wicket had also started running for the catch, but started pissing himself with laughter upon seeing my situation on the pitch and forgot about the ball long enough for it to drop safely into an empty field. 

It was all I deserved, really. 

• Upvote 3

Surely going to the amount of boundaries scored is similar to after goal difference, it goes to goals scored?

England obviously got the rub of the green in the final, you could say similar about us in Istanbul with Dudek coming off his like in the penalties. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Just thought I'd mention that the one off Test Match between England and Ireland starts next Wednesday. Pretty historic event, I hope that England don't rest too many of their so called starters. 

Guest Pistonbroke

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cricket/bowling-worries-for-england-ahead-of-test-series-against-ireland-and-ashes-as-mark-wood-is-assessed-a4190496.html

Mark Wood's sore side will be the most pressing of a raft of injury concerns when England’s selectors meet this week to pick their squad for the next task at hand: next Wednesday’s four-day Test against Ireland at Lord’s, then the Ashes that follow.

Wood left the field after completing his 10-over spell in yesterday’s World Cup Final, then had to bat at No11, where he was run out without facing a ball.

The Durham fast bowler will today be assessed but it appears most unlikely that he will face Ireland. The selectors meet on Wednesday, when England Lions’ game against an Australia XI at Canterbury ends.

Jofra Archer, meanwhile, is unlikely to play again until the Second Ashes Test at Lord’s.

The hero of England’s Super Over win has required injections to a side injury throughout the tournament, which has seen the 24-year-old play more cricket than ever before in his career. Chris Woakes has a groin injury.

Add them to James Anderson, who has a hamstring injury, and England’s deep bowling stocks are being tested. Sam Curran is likely to join Stuart Broad in the attack to face Ireland, while there could be debuts for the likes of Jamie Porter and Jamie Overton.

Eoin Morgan believes the feelgood factor brought by the World Cup win will carry over into the Test summer, but England’s short-form captain warned that the team’s many multi-format stars must be managed well.

Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow will be joined by Jason Roy in the Test team when it is named this week as the success of the 50-over team influences the longer format further.

“I think it will give them a lot of confidence,” said Morgan. “I think it gives them a bit of leeway to get some time off as well, which is quite nice. Everybody needs it. 

“This tournament has taken a lot out of us as a team, both mentally and physically, and [it is possible] energy levels will drop quite quickly unless the guys are looked after.”

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just thought I'd mention that the one off Test Match between England and Ireland starts next Wednesday. Pretty historic event, I hope that England don't rest too many of their so called starters. 

Michael Collins will be steaming in - over stepping stones - from the Glasnevin cemetery end.

That's the important thing.

Guest Pistonbroke
31 minutes ago, skaro said:

Michael Collins will be steaming in - over stepping stones - from the Glasnevin cemetery end.

That's the important thing.

Will Arthur Griffith be steaming in from the other end? Obviously only for a short stint. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I see on the Cricket front that Wade retired injured in Australia's X1 second innings against the England Lions. Not sure if it is serious like. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I see on the Cricket front that Wade retired injured in Australia's X1 second innings against the England Lions. Not sure if it is serious like. 

I'd have him in as a serious Ashes middle order option.  Very serious.

The Australian selectors won't though, so they'd be happy he's felled.

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, skaro said:

Got another century in the first innings as well. 

1 hour ago, skaro said:

For a couple of seasons now, he's made a silly amount of runs in all formats batting up and down the order...which is why he won't make the Test team, of course. 

6 hours ago, Brownie said:

It was obviously very unfortunate for the Kiwis but everyone knew the rules beforehand.

And you can argue a few things in Englands favour as tie-breakers; England got more points and finished higher in the group stage. England battered NZ in the group stage. In the super over England didn’t lose a wicket whereas NZ did (to counter the argument about wickets lost at the end of 50 overs - i’m glad that’s not the rule anymore, I always hated it).

NZ were just plain unlucky in how England got their runs towards the end of the 50 overs but overall I think the best team won the tournament.

Brownie knows.

I am hand on heart devastated for the Black Caps but those are the rules. 

On 17/07/2019 at 09:49, Pistonbroke said:

FUCKING LORDS AGAIN.

FUCK OFF.

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

FUCKING LORDS AGAIN.

FUCK OFF.

It's the perfect place to remind the Irish of the Ascendancy.  

Just like the reverse - the fucking tin shed/glorified dog kennel you have to walk 3 miles to at Heathrow to fly to Dublin.