You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Me too, but I suppose any short ball is a possible six.

I think a full ball is easier to hit for six. It's easier to clear mid off with a drive than square leg with a pull shot. Especially when he can bowl 90mph (and accurately, he's unlikely to bowl anything that could be cut for six, for example), and then vary that with slower balls.

I reckon the slower ball bouncer is the most difficult ball to get away, as long as it isn't overused and batsmen start setting for it.

For me, Boult was a poor choice for a single over as well. Despite being their best bowler, in a one off over I don't think he has the style that suits. 

Generally, bowlers mix up their lengths, lines, speeds, etc probably a bit too much. They can get bogged down in micromanaging how they're going to bowl and completely lose all rhythm. However, for a super over it's exactly how you need to bowl. You can't be predictable. 

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

For me, Boult was a poor choice for a single over as well. Despite being their best bowler, in a one off over I don't think he has the style that suits. 

Yeah, he went for 30 in his last two overs.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Yeah, he went for 30 in his last two overs.

The ball needs to be swinging. And when it is, he's almost unplayable. 

Probably would have picked Ferguson for the one off over. I think you want your quickest bowler (as long he's good and not just spraying it everywhere!), and for them to switch between quick short stuff and slower balls.

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The ball needs to be swinging. And when it is, he's almost unplayable. 

Probably would have picked Ferguson for the one off over. I think you want your quickest bowler (as long he's good and not just spraying it everywhere!), and for them to switch between quick short stuff and slower balls.

I was thinking Ferguson and Woakes. Not sure either team got it right. 

Lots of salt on Twitter from people fuming about England having players that are not English. Most of it is aimed at Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid, both of whom were born in England! Jason Roy has been here since he was 10 too.

It's reminiscent of the blue shite!

Guest Pistonbroke
10 hours ago, skaro said:

I'd say the fact they tied the game, twice, is of great consolation to them.

They can almost literally feel like they didn't lose.

But England's name is on the Cup.  And they'll do the double in the next couple of months.

Yeah, they didn't lose as such, unfortunately the powers that be set the rules before hand and England won on the boundaries count. I don't think anybody would have minded if the Trophy was shared after the scores were tied after the Super over. NZ are a likeable side, plus despite the obvious hurt, those who were interviewed came over as gracious in defeat. 

As for the 6 runs which were given due to the deflection off Stokes's bat, some were saying it could/should have been 5. Stoke's still had to face two balls after that, so maybe's instead of hitting the last ball for the single to send the game to a super over, he might have opened his arms and hit it for a 4, who knows, all ifs and buts. A cruel way for NZ to miss out on becoming World champions, we all know that feeling in one way or another. 

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Lots of salt on Twitter from people fuming about England having players that are not English. Most of it is aimed at Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid, both of whom were born in England! Jason Roy has been here since he was 10 too.

I'd take it as a compliment.  Or alternatively, as Twitter shite.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Would anyone have bowled Woakes instead of Jofra in that Super Over?

I said at the time they should bowl Archer for the super over, purely down to the fact he has more variety in his bowling and youngsters tend to feel less pressure in those situations. Ironically he didn't bowl well to begin with, but his last two deliveries were on the money. Overall it was a good over under that pressure. Like many of you I don't know why NZ chose Boult to bowl their super over. In general he is their best bowler, but that is up top when the ball is doing something and he's a wicket taker. Overall he was their most expensive bowler yesterday. Henry, Ferguson and especially de Grandhomme proved harder to get away on that pitch. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. 

Never seen anything quite like that and probably never will again. That will never be repeated and as proud as I am of England, I am gutted for the Black Caps who played so well and probably were the better team on the day. 

But England have a team of fighters and Ben Stokes is the king of it. He would have got us over the line against Sri Lanka had others stuck around for him I think and he managed to just about do it yesterday as well. We had that game won and then lost it so many times yesterday. We had a lot of luck late in the innings with the 6 and the freakish deflection for 4.... It was just crazy. 

I don't think there's any doubt that England deserved it over the course of the last couple of years but they came back from big trouble in this tournament to go on and win it. We have massive, massive balls and I am so proud of them.

Now go and win The Ashes. 

• Upvote 2

That was an amazing day's sport. The last hour was outrageous.

Feel sorry for people i've spoken to today who didn't see it or are acting like they don't care. "What cricket?" i've heard a couple of times. Talking out their arse cos it's all over the news, like. 

2 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

The most disappointing thing about the World Cup has been the lack of Jofra Archer/Jeffrey Archer puns. Especially when the opposition captain is called Kane, they should virtually write themselves.

Kane Unable?

Stokes could write a book about his experiences of final overs in major tournaments. He's got the entire spectrum of emotions already covered. 

Added to his incident outside a nightclub and being given out handling a ball halfway down the pitch, it'd be a fascinating read.