You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

When I saw it, I thought it looked bad. Having two umpires trying to persuade him to leave the pitch after being given out. 

In cricket you accept the umpires decision, he obviously didn't but whilst he put he view across he never "lost it" he was always under control. 

A maximum fine would seem the correct punishment. 

Guest Pistonbroke

He was given two demerit points, which equals the heaviest punishment given out for dissent since the ICC adopted its current system in 2016. He was also fined 30% of his match fee. Dealt with accordingly imo. I believe he is now on 3 demerit points as he also got one in the game v Pakistan and was fined 15% of his match fee. 4 demerit points means an automatic ban. 

Guest Pistonbroke

First test starts on the 1st of August, just under three weeks away. Ironically it's at Edgbaston where the Aussies never seem to do well. 

18 hours ago, A_S said:

Also, you could absolutely make an argument that Roy should be suspended from the final for his disgraceful conduct after being dismissed, but politics won't allow it to happen. 

Could you fuck, don’t talk pish. 

He was fined and rightly so, he should have been pissed off with Bairstow instead of the umpire. 

But banned? Bollocks. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Could you fuck, don’t talk pish. 

He was fined and rightly so, he should have been pissed off with Bairstow instead of the umpire. 

But banned? Bollocks. 

He also got two demerit points as I explained above. It equals the highest punishment for dissent under the new ICC rules. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Loved reading every sentence. 

I particularly liked 

As for Australia, it had never been beaten in a semi-final and was expected to breeze past its perennial World Cup bunnies England right up until shortly after it won the toss and elected to bat first.

However, history will show us that it was the two 'underdogs' that prevailed after two wildly-contrasting contests.

• Upvote 1

All novices of Eastern European descent in Australia, the cricketing country that has become "Skaro's boys" since my Dad moved here in 1960 sincerely wish England - the inventors of this great game - all the best in trying to snare their very first World Cup on Sunday.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  It would be a laudable achievement.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, skaro said:

All novices of Eastern European descent in Australia, the cricketing country that has become "Skaro's boys" since my Dad moved here in 1960 sincerely wish England - the inventors of this great game - all the best in trying to snare their very first World Cup on Sunday.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  It would be a laudable achievement.

Fucking Neville Bartos over here 

5 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Wanting a player banned for that is just sour grapes. 

Nah, I just hate that shit. I called the Aussies out for the South Africa debacle last year, plus I've never been a fan of Warner's antics over the journey either. I've got nothing against Roy too, I just wasn't a fan of how he acted at all. 

On another note, does Archer play in the Ashes? He'd be a lively addition, as would Roy if it came to it. Meanwhile, the Australian hierarchy have done something sensible for once and scheduled an Australia v Australia A game in the lead-up to the series. It's logistically possible this time due to the number of players in both county cricket and those here for the World Cup. Should be a fun watch. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, A_S said:

Nah, I just hate that shit. I called the Aussies out for the South Africa debacle last year, plus I've never been a fan of Warner's antics over the journey either. I've got nothing against Roy too, I just wasn't a fan of how he acted at all. 

On another note, does Archer play in the Ashes? He'd be a lively addition, as would Roy if it came to it. Meanwhile, the Australian hierarchy have done something sensible for once and scheduled an Australia v Australia A game in the lead-up to the series. It's logistically possible this time due to the number of players in both county cricket and those here for the World Cup. Should be a fun watch. 

Roy was handed the joint highest punishment as I've explained above. 

Anyway, best just to draw a line under that.

The Ashes. Root has said, Archer is a contender as he makes things happen. He was a bit coy when asked if Archer would be part of the Ashes, he said 'We'll see how he gets on and handles the pressures of the WC.' Well he's passed that test well enough. I believe Jimmy Anderson is a serious doubt for the first test, so it would be daft to leave Archer out. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, index1000 said:

Sour Grapes is the Aussie National Sport.

True, same in a lot of countries though, especially when the expectations are so high.